Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove rust marks in render?

House
Finding My Feet

How to remove rust marks in render?

Hello

Is there a way to remove these rust streaks from a painted renders wall that was caused by name plate of building above mail boxes??

Thank you

333DEB90-87B3-45B2-A9CE-99DB8462EE3E.jpeg

437E8774-5AB9-4262-A470-B35261672952.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Remove Rust Streajs

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @House. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing rust stains from render.

From past experience, I'd suggest that these stains are well and truly impregnated into the surface. Trying to remove them will likely be futile. Rust-removing products are typically not suitable for coloured surfaces as they themselves will leave staining. Your only real option is to use soapy water and a scrubbing brush, but as the stain would have seeped into the render, it's not something you can simply scrub away.

I'd recommend that, firstly, you resolve the issue with the rusting nameplate. This could be as easy as cleaning up the existing rust on it and sealing the metal with a clear acrylic coating. If you don't resolve the issue, then this rust staining will continue. The most efficient way to fix the wall would be to undercoat it with a stain-blocking primer such as Zinsser 1L Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Undercoat Primer Sealer Stain Blocker and then coating it with exterior paint.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Remove Rust Streajs

Hello Mitchell Thank you very much for the advice, I will defiantly let you know when I follow your suggestions and have completed the work. House:)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects