Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove black wet spots on my exterior wall?

abhijeet86
Finding My Feet

How to remove black wet spots on my exterior wall?

20220914_173816.jpg

20220914_173757.jpg

20220914_173751.jpg

The exterior brick veneer wall of my house is full of these black spots which are also wet. Need help understanding what they are and how to get rid of these? Is it something to be concerned about?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Black wet spots on my exterior wall

Hello @abhijeet86

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the black spots on your exterior wall.

I suspect it is a form of mould or fungus that's growing on your brick wall. Does this wall get any direct sunlight or is it hidden and always in the shadow? Is the ground or retaining wall in front of it always wet? The lack of sunlight and wet conditions is the perfect condition for mould and mildew to grow in. If you add in the porous nature of bricks it provides the perfect home for them to thrive in.

I suggest using 30 Seconds 2L Spray And Walk Away With Rapid Hose End in combination with an Oates Compact Deck Scrub Brush. This will allow you to loosen hard-to-remove spots and give your wall a thorough clean. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: Black wet spots on my exterior wall

Could it be efflorescence? If so, use a clean brush to clean the wall and then spray it with a 50 water / 50 vinegar. Wife says it looks like the spots left behind by moths after hatching, but the wetness throws us off. 

Remarka6le
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Re: How to remove black wet spots on my exterior wall?

Hi @abhijeet86 I think you will find they are actually part of the brickwork itself.
When they are being kiln-fired various things in the bricks can melt to form glazed areas. These appear as black and shiny areas of varying size.
If you have a look here and click the close-up image you'll see the same thing, albeit smaller, on these bricks.

Hi @Adam_W , thank you so much for the response. They are actually part of the brick. I also went to an Bunnings store nearby and consulted a trades expert and got the same guidance. They do not feel anything different when touched. Thats a big relief as I recently bought the house and thought there was wondering if there was something concerning over all the walls. Thanks a lot for your guidance!

Glad I could help @abhijeet86 and awesome that a team member at your local was on the money too :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @abhijeet86

I'm glad you got excellent advice from @Adam_W, I was a bit worried that the patch on your brick looked like a form of mould. It's good to hear that it is just a part of the actual brick.

If you have any other questions we can help you with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Fun fact... way back when I was at school my late father was the sales & marketing manager for a major brick company so I got to learn lots about bricks. Whether I wanted to or not 😂🤣😂

@EricL appreciate the concern mate. I was also very convinced it was something like mould etc. But great to have a good outcome in the end.

One good learning from @Adam_W for us all. :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects