Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove and prevent rotting & damage of pergola timber pillars?

samuelvk
Growing in Experience

How to remove and prevent rotting & damage of pergola timber pillars?

Hi guys, I am just starting here. I am looking options to Remove and Prevent rotting & damage of pergola timber pillars in my backyard. Some of the pillars has ingrown grass/weed underneath it. Currently those are exposed to rain and moisture conditions. Kindly suggest few ideas to fix this and protect it permanently. 

Thanks attached photos for reference.

1000042383.jpg

1000042382.jpg

1000042381.jpg

   

1000042380.jpg

1000042379.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Remove and Prevent rotting & damage of pergola timber pillars

Hi @samuelvk,

The post in your top image looks in reasonable condition and potentially just needs to be sanded back, any damage filled and re-painted. The post in your last images looks beyond repair and should be replaced. I'd recommend you have this post assessed by a professional and determine the best course of action to have it replaced. Obviously, the structure will need to be adequately supported during this repair. I'd encourage you to enlist the services of a professional if you have not completed this type of work in the past. Posts should be replaced with H4 treated Pine posts for exterior use.

It appears that because the posts are sitting directly on the concrete, moisture has been able to penetrate them. Typically, it's best to raise them slightly about the surface on plastic packers to prevent moisture ingress. 

The grass penetrating them is a maintenance issue, and regular trimming of your lawn edges will prevent it from encroaching on the area. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects