Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to regrout a brick wall?

izzysedg
Finding My Feet

How to regrout a brick wall?

Hello,

I’m looking to try to regrout my outdoor bricks as they are currently quite an ugly colour. The image below is my inspiration. and the second is my current brick wall. 

Thanks!

B9CCE14F-3524-4E37-8AE5-C884526E585E.jpeg

B6309981-B3F8-46F7-9A1C-8E00DFB845B8.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Regrouting Brick Wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @izzysedg. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about regrouting bricks.

If I understand correctly, you'd like the grouting to stand out and be a more brilliant white to achieve the look of your first image. If you're not looking to remove the old grout first, you can choose to apply new grout over the existing grout lines. However, it's essential to be aware that this approach has some potential downsides. Firstly, the new grout may not adhere as well to the old grout, which could affect its durability over time. Secondly, it may not completely cover or hide the old grout's colour or imperfections, which could impact the final appearance. It's important to carefully assess the condition of the existing grout and consider these factors before proceeding. If you decide to apply new grout over the old, ensure that the old grout is clean and free of debris before doing so.

Repainting the existing grout with white paint could be a simpler alternative to re-grouting. Begin by cleaning the grout thoroughly, then choose a suitable exterior paint for outdoor use. Protect the brick surfaces with painter's tape, apply the paint to the grout lines carefully, and allow it to dry as per the manufacturer's instructions. This method can give your brick wall a refreshed appearance without the need to remove or replace the existing grout, saving time and effort while achieving a white grout finish.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects