Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to reduce gap size between the slats on my fence?

km1230
Just Starting Out

How to reduce gap size between the slats on my fence?

I have a new built slate fence, but feel like the gaps are too wide between slates and make me concern about privacy.

Is there a way to easy fix and reduce the spacings between slates?

(mine is similar to this fence)

4F4227F9-021B-4852-9B01-EFF00A220352.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to reduce gap size between the slats on my fence?

Hello @km1230

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your slat fence.

I don't recommend disassembling your fence to change the gap between the panels as this might damage them while being taken apart and repositioned. The gap would have to be very small to interfere with seeing through the fence. One way to prevent people from seeing through the fence is to add more panels on the other side to cover the viewing gap.

Another method is to install Coolaroo 1.83m Wide 70% UV Light duty Shade Cloth per Metre between posts on the inside of the fence. This will block anyone from seeing in but still allow the wind and rain to pass through. It also provides a nice cover for your fence from the inside.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @diy_hausdesigns for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects