Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Any suggestions for fence colour in small courtyard?

tal_itha
Building a Reputation

Any suggestions for fence colour in small courtyard?

My back fence is currently Monument (I think). I know this a popular fence colour for disappearing into the background.

However my courtyard is only 3m wide, and the fence is 2.7m tall - so it looms more than disappears (the pic is taken from my back door, for context)

I would love your help / suggestions, or to see pics of fences where you’ve gone with a lighter colour.

My vibe is mid century / Palm Springs, and I’m not afraid of colour (my kitchen is pink).

I plan to put some planter boxes along the fence, so it will eventually be partly obscured by greenery

E5DB227C-76B2-48D2-81EA-59FB7E469433.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: fence colour for small courtyard

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tal_itha. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fence colours.

Although the colour choice is a personal preference, I'd agree that a deeper monument-like colour on a smaller courtyard could seem overwhelming. If you want to make the space appear larger, a lighter colour choice could be a good decision. I'd encourage you to pick a few sample pots and give them a go on the fence. You'll soon know whether your lighter shade will work in your situation. I can't see why it wouldn't work with the right choice of accessories. If you don't want to paint your samples on the fence, you can paint large pieces of cardboard; that way, you can move them around different areas.

Do you have any inspiration pics you could show our members? Let me mention @prettyliving and @redbournreno to see if they have any thoughts.

I'll be keen to see any examples our members can provide, and I look forward to your experimentation. Please keep us updated.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Any suggestions for fence colour in small courtyard?

Hi @tal_itha,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. I trust you'll get loads of inspiration and advice from our wonderful community for all your projects around the house and garden. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand.

I think Monument is a popular fence colour because it makes the greenery planted in front look amazing. It creates a really dramatic backdrop. I wonder whether you might actually like to keep the fence as-is and invest all your energies in planter boxes and vertical gardens. 

You might get some ideas and inspiration from these articles:

Hope that helps. We are looking forward to seeing how you can transform your courtyard. 

Jason

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi tal_itha

I noticed the taller fence extention and wanted to share an idea i have used currently. Any fence colour  you choose. The idea is to spray paint the top section of fence and or lower if you wish sky blue as nateral as  you can ( i held colour strips against to outside sky at bunnings to get sky blue) I then over sprayed the blue sparingly with a cloud  lighter gray so the whole  effect is sky colours with  fluffy clouds to try make  that fence less impossing. If  your more artistic than me add some darker gray very sparingly and some white cloud bits. Or think camo painting pattern.  I have a long gazebo and I painted it forest green to match house down pipes etc originally it was dark and impossing high up the blues and grays look great  in clear skys or stormy clouds. A bit of  a wild idea but it helped my impossing gazebo be less impossing and  blend with the sky.  

Another wild idea i had but never had the space to use it yet was vinyl wall/ house sized murals or smaller to fit your space stuck on flat painted  plywood white to  let murals colour  bloom maybe over  painted with uv stable  resin or some thing. Perspex will block UV but is  an extra cost and may not be worth it.  So many beautiful designs that can easy fill that fence space ie a  country view or  mountains, google search large vinyl murals just double check the company you buy from has good reputation and mabye uv stable vinyl. Note most vinyls dont last more than 8-10 years outdoors.

Relatives of mine hired talanted kid spray painter to spray paint the whole side of a house an underwater scene on their beach holiday house and it was  very pretty.  For your fence.

That fence could be a picture door way to another world.Before exampleBefore exampleafter exampleafter example  Source https://www.wickedwalls.com.au/outdoor-wall-murals.html

Thanks, those are some really creative ideas for me to look into!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tal_itha

Please make sure to post an update on your fence painting project, I'm sure our members will be keen to see what you've chosen to put on your fence.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects