Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent algae on brickwork?

rocketman
Just Starting Out

How to prevent algae on brickwork?

PXL_20240108_044421285.jpg

I have these little plants growing out of mortars of a few outdoor bricks. I fear it is going to cause cracks in the brick wall or even the foundation. How serious is this problem and can I stop it?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Algae growing out of bricks

hi @rocketman

The  good  news is that algea is not particularly damaging and  can be there years and live on you wet  bricks.  It looks very damp in that area  as a regulur feature.

But if  you dont want it there  use the following produce spray it on and OVER TIME it will clear  the wall for  algae moss and the like.

30 Seconds 5L Spray And Walk Away Concentrate

I/N: 4460170

$52.98

• Slow release
  • Works over times to remove algae, moss, mould, mildew and lichen from exterior surfaces
  • No hosing or scrubbing required just spray it on and walk away
  • Fully biodegradable and phosphate free. Safe to use around the garden.
A cost-effective non-bleach based exterior cleaner used to restore all those dangerous slimy green and slippery black surfaces you have around the home to near new.

The combination of biodegradable selective surfactants is slow acting on moss, mould, mildew, lichen and algae and works over time reactivating for the first few rainfalls. No hosing or scrubbing just spray it on and walk away.

Re: Algae growing out of bricks

Hi @rocketman 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about Algae growing out of your bricks.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. I'm in total agreement with using 30 Seconds 5L Spray And Walk Away Concentrate on your brick wall. Please note that deep seated algae growth might need to be manually removed as it could be sitting on the bricks surface.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when using the product. Please make sure to follow all the safety guidelines printed at the back of the container.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects