Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare and paint an old concrete porch?

nonsibicunctis
Building a Reputation

How to prepare and paint an old concrete porch?

My house is on a sloping block that (face on) lowers from left to right nd back to front.

The front door opens onto a brick porch with concrete surface

The porch is approximately  1 metre high at the door end and 1.2m high at the other, with 3 steps leading up at the end to the roof of the garage, which used to be a deck but is now just roof.

The porch is approximately 1.5 metres wide by about 4 metres long + about a metre for the steps.

The house is about 55 years old and I believe that the porch is original and the paint on the concrete just as old. - In places there is virtually bare concrete but there are also areas where the paint seems relatively sound.

I don't want to acid etch if I can avoid it but neither do I want to do the job only to have the paint peel later.  However, as I have this mix of painted, reasonably smooth, (though thin) concrete patches with other rough bare concrete I'm not sure what to do.

Should I attempt to etch just the painted parts?

Is there a primer that I could simply put over the whole area?

Is there a coloured sealer that I could put over the whole area?

Any advice as to the best way to go, I would greatly appreciate.

IMG_1019.jpegIMG_1021.jpegIMG_1023.jpegIMG_1025.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prepare and paint a small & old concrete porch?

Looks sensation to me, @nonsibicunctis! Well done, and many thanks for sharing your results; I trust they will greatly inspire others to consider giving this a go.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you, Dave-1, that's a kind comment.  I have little confidence and tend to depression so I have to admit, I look at what I've done and feel somewhat dejected at all the flaws and faults.  Yes, I think it certainly looks better than it did and I'm hoping that the fence will look o.k. with it.  I'll keep my fingers crossed but certainly appreciate your encouragement.  Take care. Stay safe.

Mitchell, you are more than kind, I think you flatter my work.  I struggle with every job and tend to see and feel the flaws and mistakes I've made.  However, I do try to maintain or rejuvenate things, even if I have to make do and mend.  So thank you for your encouragement, believe me it helps to give me enough confidence to keep going.  Take care. Stay safe.

I struggle with the same issues and am very critical of my own work @nonsibicunctis. I've learnt over the years that a perfect result is not really achievable and there will always be something, despite how insignificant it might be, that can seem to spoil the job. You've taken an aged and degraded surface and given it a fresh new coating that looks fantastic by any standards. It's a job well done and you should be proud of your efforts.

I can't wait to see what you tackle next!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@MitchellMc and @nonsibicunctis 

I usually play "spot the mistakes" with my jobs lol But really the bylaw is... The job is done where before it was not :smile: And any mistake we can spot we can live with otherwise we would have changed it :smile: With both these ideas I shrug and just appreciate the work and effort that I have done :smile:

We beat ourselves up far too easily. We should have a competition on "Best mistake" we have done :smile:

Dave

Oh yes! I'd be a certain winner for once. ...

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects