Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch screw holes in VJ boards?

MCCharlotte
Just Starting Out

How to patch screw holes in VJ boards?

Hi

I am painting my STILLA  SheShed that was installed by a professional. 
my question today is,,, ( I have questions  every day regarding my shed)😄

I have been scrubbing the pencil markings off the VJ primed walls so I can paint it, and noticing lines of screws across the walls. 
Some are flush most are sticking out, some are  just screw holes and the screws are next to it 😬🤷‍♀️

4F151150-0150-4F2F-A8AA-0A7E14CEF272.jpeg

EB0417FF-954D-491F-B566-9F09E89FE183.jpeg

B56E6F6B-4008-46F9-8BB4-EFB354BD0D22.jpeg

  

42819525-84B5-42A3-83DA-A7BEED4294FB.jpeg

some screws have been screwed in on  an angle ripping the Vj board😬🙄

I have been scrubbing the pencil lines off for 3 hours and no where near patching yet 🤔

So my question is, how do I prep over screws and other screwy mistakes?😬
Nail holes would be easy to fill and sand but this seems like it can’t be hidden especially under white paint 😭

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: She Shed project

If you have a drill, I'd take it out slightly, adjust the clutch to a higher setting on the drill before re-drilling it back in. Most of the time things seem to find its way a little better this way.

Remarka6le
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: She Shed project

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MCCharlotte. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about patching over screws.

It's great to see @Remarka6le has already provided advice. As he's mentioned screwing them in slightly further could resolve the issue. When applying putty over screws, you typically want the head just below the surface of the timber. That way, you can fill the void with putty. If they are flush with the surface, there is nowhere to fill. So, if you can, try sinking them just below the surface.

Ideally, these holes should have been pre-drilled and countersunk with a bit. This provides an area for the screw to sit neatly below the surface. If you have trouble driving these screws in further, you might like to remove them, give the hole a whizz with a countersink bit and then re-insert the screw.

Regarding the amount of work you are putting into removing the pencil lines, I'd imagine a couple of coats of paint will cover them just fine, and you shouldn't need to remove them.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects