Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch retaining rock wall and paving joints?

alwinkm
Getting Established

How to patch retaining rock wall and paving joints?

Hi

My existing retaining wall has cracks forming on the joints and in some places broken off. The same is happening for the outdoor rock floor. What do I use to patch up the joints and match the colour to existing joints?

Thank you in advance

PXL_20231026_225836836~2.jpg

IMG20230918074149.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: how to patch up retaining rock wall and floor joints

Hi @alwinkm 

You have some small movement there in the wall so I recommend a  water proof  beige color highly  flexable sealant that will be close to matching your  mortar color.

Use  caulking gun be sure to grab fat nozzle for  tube squeeze it deep as possible into crack and push in excess polyurethane  with gloved finger along  crack  length,  Helps to have a dry wall too,

https://www.bunnings.com.au/sika-310ml-japan-beige-sikaflex-pro-polyurethane-sealant_p0083590

Sika 310ml Japan Beige Sikaflex Pro+ Polyurethane Sealant

I/N: 0083590

$23.22

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to patch retaining rock wall and floor joints?

Hello @alwinkm 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about rock wall and floor joints.

That's excellent advice coming from @Jewelleryrescue. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend cleaning out the gaps as much as possible before you apply the silicone sealant. I also suggest having a look at Selleys 415g Brick And Concrete Sealant.  

However, if the grout has started falling out or has come very loose, it might be necessary to re-mortar the gaps. I suggest using Dingo 10kg Mortar Mix to fill in the gaps. I suggest using a baking technique by using a piping bag to squirt the mortar into the gap. I propose using a tough plastic bag with the corner cut to emulate a piping bags function. Just make sure that the mix is soft enough to be squeezed through the hole.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
alwinkm
Getting Established

Thank you ericl and Jewelleryrescue. I don't see any loose grout so maybe the silicone sealant is sufficient

I'll try this over the weekend

Thank you so much

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @alwinkm and reach out again if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects