Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch rendered cementboard?

minklet
Building a Reputation

How to patch rendered cementboard?

Hi. Had an outdoor tap fitted today to my unit. The blowout on the rendered cement board from drilling through the kitchen wall is quite large

If I fixed it myself, what should I use to patch it? I was thinking this stuff https://www.bunnings.com.au/dingo-grey-cement-3kg_p0760514

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to patch rendered cementboard?

Sorry @minklet, but can you please clarify whether that plastic plug covers the hole in your render?  I assume that was added by the plumber to try to hide the hole. Does it not fit?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
minklet
Building a Reputation

Not fully, there’s a noticeable amount that pokes out the circumference, it’s not secured either 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the clarification @minklet.

Could we also trouble you for a photo front on with the cap in place? That will make it easier to members to assess whether they think the plumber has done a reasonable job. 

Jason

minklet
Building a Reputation

Sure. 

IMG_4809.jpeg

Have to say I’m happy with the work and don’t want to be difficult for the sake of it, but it’s a strata building and I have a requirement when approved for the works to make sure the work is done to an acceptable standard for the long term of the building. Bear in mind that cover is purely aesthetic, it has little protective function

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @minklet,

This blowout was likely unavoidable, and if the plumber were to fix it, there's a good chance there would be an additional hourly charge as it would just be part of the job. If this were avoidable damage to the structure then it might be worth chasing them up. It's a bit of a grey area, but I'd be inclined to think that the easiest option here would be to apply a little render to fill the indention. Once the filler has set, you can use some touchup paint to colour the area that the cap doesn't cover.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

minklet
Building a Reputation

Thanks, tbh that's fine by me I'm happy to do it myself and as I say I'm happy with the work itself. I just didn't know what exactly to use, or even if it's something to be concerned about fixing? If that render is suitable I'll try that.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I wouldn't say this is anything to be concerned about, @minklet, even if it was left as is. However, it would be nice for it to be neatened up a bit so it looks 100%.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects