Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint outdoor fibre cement to have a lightly rendered look?

rexster
Finding My Feet

How to paint outdoor fibre cement to have a lightly rendered look?

IMG_6335.jpeg

I have just replaced a thin mortar wall with fibre cement sheeting..The mortar had holes in it and I live in a high risk bushfire location. I want to paint the sheeting so it has a slightly rendered look. Any advice about what to use and how to apply it.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint outdoor fibre cement to have a lightly rendered look?

Hi @rexster,

It sounds like Dulux texture effect is the product for you. It comes in fine, medium and full so you'll be able to achieve the slightly rendered effect you're after. Most probably the fine or medium is the look you want.

You'll find the full preparation and application steps on the Dulux website but here are the application steps:

Stir contents thoroughly before and during use with a broad flat paddle, using an up and down scooping action. Application is in two parts: Delivery via a roller and finishing using a sponge, brush or mitt. 

• Delivery: Generously load the roller and apply from the ground upwards in vertical strips of half to one metre lengths. Reload the roller after each strip and repeat until three or four strips are applied. Even out material by rolling diagonally across the surface. It is important to work swiftly to allow time for the finishing process and this can be best acheived by working in a team, with one "delivering" and the other "finishing". 

• Finishing: Working with a clean bucket of water and a sponge (we recommend a fine cell sponge) or mitt, wet the sponge or mitt and, working in a circular motion, sponge finish the applied material to obliterate the roller pattern, fill mortar joints and/or cover surface imperfections. Clean out the sponge in the water and lightly finish in larger circular strokes. Depending upon the finishing pressure and material retained from the sponge, varied finishing effects can be achieved, from a light "mottled" effect to a more prominent "swirl" pattern. Repeat the above delivery and finishing procedure, maintaining a working wet edge, until completed. Two coats are recommended, but additional coats may be required depending upon the depth of the mortar joints.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Do I need to apply primer first?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rexster,

"On porous surfaces, applying a priming coat thinned with water (four parts Texture Medium Cover™: one part water) will condition the surface and help aid application of additional coats." 

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects