Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint cinder block retaining wall?

Heffa76
Just Starting Out

How to paint cinder block retaining wall?

I have recently purchased a townhouse with a small backyard.

I am interested in changing the appearance (to a Sandstone colour) for the back retaining wall built from cinder blocks. It has been power washed with some residual black mould in spots. It does show dampness for a couple of days after rain which I believe comes from behind the wall in the next door neighbours yard, so I don't want to paint it if it will be ruined after heavy rain.

I have done some research but still confused which is the best way to attack this project. 

What would be the best process / products / paints to use ?

Open to other suggestions rather than painting

ThanksRetaining Wall.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint cinder block retaining wall?

Hello @Heffa76 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about painting your cinder block retaining wall.

Your assessment about the dampness coming through the retaining wall is spot on. This means that any surface paint you put on the cinder block will simply bubble off. The only product that comes to mind that will change its appearance and not get affected by the dampness is house cladding.

It can be screwed into place and the best part is that the cladding can then be painted over to your preferred colour. Another method to cover the cinder block is to use Merbau panels. The only condition is that it must be installed with a gap at the back and top to allow air to pass through.

I also suggest having a look at these discussions - Merbau panel screening by @WendyL and Feature wall fence with Matrix screen panels by @diy_hausdesigns. This will give you a good idea of how the panels are used to cover existing features in your area.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects