Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a stencilled driveway?

coads
Finding My Feet

How to paint a stencilled driveway?

Hi 

What is the best way to paint a stencilled driveway and outdoor areas pls?

outdoors.jpgdrieway.jpg

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: stencilled driveway

Hey @coads thanks for asking on Workshop.

First off you want to have a look at any specific requirements by the manufacturer of the paving/concrete paint.

As a general the areas will need to be high pressure washed and then acid washed to ensure they are free from dirt and contamination then once completely dry any edges against the house be taped up so no paint get on the bricks. Edges can be cut in by brush and the rest rolled with following instructions for time between coats. 

You might want to also consider a grip adative as well these paints can get slippery in the wet

Screenshot_20220828-142158_Bunnings Product Finder.jpg

Screenshot_20220828-142240_Bunnings Product Finder.jpg

Screenshot_20220828-142328_Bunnings Product Finder.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @coads. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting stencilled concrete.

It's great to see that @CSParnell has already provided some helpful information.

I thought I'd add that concrete paints must go over a porous surface like bare concrete or an un-degraded previously painted surface. The products used must be compatible if it is over a previously painted surface.

Typically, stamped/stencilled concrete gets sealed to prevent staining. This sealer is not porous and prevents the paint from adhering to the cement base. This means that your painted coating will only ever be as strong as the degraded sealer underneath. If the sealer lets go, then so does your new paint topcoat. That's why concrete paint manufacturers don't like warranting their products over non-porous surfaces, sealers or degraded surfaces.

After you acid etch, I'm sure that driveway will have little to no sealer left on it as it's already worn back through the paint layer. That pathway could be a different matter. After you acid etch it (which hopefully should remove any remaining sealer), do a water droplet test on it. If, after 15mins, the droplet has absorbed into the path then you are good to paint. If it's still sitting on the surface, then it's not porous, and the paint will have trouble binding to it. Our concrete paint suppliers recommend that you strip the sealer off before painting.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
coads
Finding My Feet

Thanks - appreciate the advice.

Could I put outdoor pavers over the walkway areas or would I still need to grind back the stencils?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Were you thinking of glueing these pavers down or laying them on a bed of sand @coads? Bedding the pavers on sand shouldn't be an issue. However, if you were planning on glueing the tiles down, you'd need to follow the adhesive manufacturer's directions. I'd suggest there will also be preparation steps needed for any sealed substrate.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects