Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount decorative panels to a retaining wall?

daisydog82
Getting Established

How to mount decorative panels to a retaining wall?

Hey all,

First post so be patient with me! 

I have a retaining wall in my backyard and really like the idea of mounting some rust effect panels as a decorative feature (https://www.bunnings.com.au/tuscan-path-1800-x-900mm-rust-geometric-screen-panel_p3042457).

I want to be able to mount them with a clearance/gap so we can put some lights in the gap to illuminate from the back. Any recommendations on a good product to use to mount the panels to the wall? 

I saw some of these in my local Bunnings, https://www.bunnings.com.au/protector-aluminium-32-x-19mm-black-deco-panel-mounts-6-pack_p3042380 , however they only seem to come in black - and they look like they would be an ideal product. 

Any other recommendations, or has anyone seen the same fittings you can use for a rust panel? 

Thanks! 

daisydog82
Getting Established

Re: How to mount decorative panels to a retaining wall?

Thanks all for the advice so far, before I get the tools out I just need to do a little more research first 😄

What sort of sealer would you guys recommend for these panels, especially seeing as they are rusted? 

The wall we are looking at putting them on is pretty much in sunlight all day long too, so I am thinking of buying one and leaving it near the wall to get a gauge of how hot they may get too

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Evening @daisydog82 

I dont know if I would seal the "rusty" panels. I think they are designed to surface rust but not rust away. Sealing them may stop them doing what they natural have been designed to do. One reason I suggested the timber battens painted was to get them off the bessa block wall so if they do drip rust it wontr stain your retaing wall. (They may not drip rust its just me being cautious) The panels if they are mounted away from the bessa blocks will alow air to circulate and cool them more so then if you mount them direct on the blocks. I still think They could get hot but they will also cool fast.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @daisydog82 

I'm in agreement with @Dave-1 regarding the panel. I think you're supposed to let it rust so that it develops a natural rust covering. 

However, in regards to how hot it gets, if it is anything like a toasted seat belt buckle then I prescribe caution. Let me make a few inquiries regarding sealing the rusty panel. As soon as I have more information, I'll get back to you.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @daisydog82 

Thank you very much for your patience. I've just been in contact with our supplier, and they don't advise sealing the panel as it is meant to naturally rust so that it develops its rust resistant cover. Unfortunately, they've not done any testing with sealers and therefore can't recommend any as they don't know how it will affect the panel. For the meantime, I suggest putting a cover at the bottom such as plywood under the panels while they season. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

daisydog82
Getting Established

Thanks for the response(s) - we are looking at a couple of alternative options too, instead of rust effect we had a look at the custom profile ones which have a wide colour selection / range. 

Will keep you guys updated with any progress 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @daisydog82 

Please keep us in the loop once you've decided on which panel you're going to go with. I'm very keen to see what it will look like once you have the panels mounted.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects