Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make this birdbath stand?

Coolaholigah
Cultivating a Following

How to make this birdbath stand?

Can anyone tell me what kind of wire mesh this is and how to make a ‘column’ out of it please. I have a flat cement platform I can put it on. I imagine one can purchase the stones to fill it with

thanks

FCCF88F2-08E9-48A2-884E-4DDAB00F61E7.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make something like this birdbath stand?

Hello @Coolaholigah 

Ideally, you're after mesh that has a gap of 25mm between wires like the Saxon 50 x 25 x 25 x 0.9 2.5m Wire Mesh. In order to create the circular shape, you'll need to use a guide such as a basketball or a large cover of a plastic bucket. I recommend rolling the wire mesh on the ground while the basketball is inside. When you have the length that you need, you can cut the wire mesh with some side cutters. The edges can be secured using Whites 1.57mm x 30m Handypak Galvanised Tie Wire while twisting it with some pliers. 

I suggest having a look at the pebbles and stones in stock at the store as there are a few to choose from. However, if the sizes you are after are not present you can order them at the special orders desk. There is also the option of using wire mesh with smaller openings. 

Please make sure to wear gloves and safety goggles when you are assembling the wire cage.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

How great are those Gabion Birdbath Stands !! Secure place for lizards to hide and shelter from predators. Can’t wait to see what you create @Coolaholigah

Great advice @EricL !!!! I wouldn’t mind making one for our Garden 😀

Coolaholigah
Cultivating a Following

Thanks. I’ve never heard the term Gabon before. That’s helpful thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @Coolaholigah 

The word gabion generally refers to a cage filled with rocks. Thats why you sometimes hear the word gabion fencing which refers to a very specific type of fencing. Here is an excellent featured project that has a gabion base on it - Gabion wall bench seat build project by @tony1982.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects