Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a wooden pool pump cover?

lbell
Just Starting Out

How to make a wooden pool pump cover?

Hi I am looking for instructions to make a wooden pool pump cover. Can you help?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to make a wooden pool pump cover

Hello @theoekiwi

Thanks for sharing that question about what to line your pool pump cover inside to reduce the noise. I suggest looking at the Bastion 1200 x 600 x 30mm XPS Multi-Use Insulation Foam Board. This insulation can be used for a variety of purposes and is water resistant. The theory of reducing the ambient noise of the pump is to create a space where sound will have little to no way of escaping. When placing the insulation board think of it like building an esky. The board's edges must meet each other so that sound is trapped inside.

One way to hold the panel in place is to use Foilboard Insulation Blank Plates - 250 Pack or similar. But instead of using nails, I suggest using screws to mount the plates onto the timber surface. I also suggest using it on the floor of the pool pump area so that sound does not escape through the bottom of the pool pump cover.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sshurte
Just Starting Out

Re: How to make a wooden pool pump cover?

5DD9CAED-E282-4D00-8229-38C836F8E9EE.jpeg

 hi I’m up to this stage but I’m unsure how to construct the lid and how to arrange the hinges 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make a wooden pool pump cover?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sshurte. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building a pool pump cover.

Have you had a look through this guide on How to build a pool pump cover? The frame I used is similar to the one seen in this discussion, so you should be able to follow the guidelines for the rest of the build. I'd encourage you to read through from the beginning, but I start talking about the lid and hinges from step six.

Let me know if that clears up your questions and feel free to let me know if you're still stuck.

Mitchell

When you say concrete the  upright posts into the ground, does this mean filling a hole (in soil) with cement and just putting the treated pine post in it and wait for it set?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @carolync 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

That is absolutely correct, you place the treated pine post into the hole in the soil and fill it with cement and wait for it to cure. 

However, there are two ways for you to accomplish this. First, please have a look at this guide - How to build a pool pump cover by @MitchellMc. Specifically step number 3 photo number 3.7, you'll see that independent timber legs were placed into the ground fixed to the box frame. In essence should a major repair be needed, and the pump cover needs to be entirely removed, the frame can be unscrewed from the legs in the ground.

The second method is to place the framing posts directly into the ground and concrete them into place. This means that it will be more difficult to remove the frame as you'll need to disassemble the whole box. You'll still be left with four posts cemented into the ground which could get in the way of the repair.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thank you so much clarifying! In terms of Method 1, can you please explain what independent timber legs are? (I am a total novice!) Are they just a separate piece of timber you cement in and then fix the upright posts to them with bolts?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The "legs" are the upright frame posts on all four corners @carolync. They are concreted into the ground with concrete, providing rigidity to the structure. The rest of the structure can be connected to them. Have you looked through this guide on How to build a pool pump cover? The frame I used is similar to the one seen in this discussion, but the overall design I've put together is simpler to construct. In the How To guide, the frame is not concreted into the ground.

Could you tell us some more about the location of this pool pump cover? Is there an existing slab? Perhaps you might like to post some images so our members have a better idea of what you're working with. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

Mitchell

20230728_093512.jpg

We just moving into a new house and this is the pool pump set up at the moment. I was thinking it would be good to have one side attached to the wall, gas struts lid on the top and front door. I was also thinking of lining the lid and sides with poly carbonate to keep the rain off. Dimensions are 1.5m high, 1.5m wide and 1.3m deep. Any ideas or recommendations you have would be great.

Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Have you had a look through this guide on How to build a pool pump cover @carolync? I've tried my best to provide clear step-by-step instructions and renderings that should be easy to follow for your project. Adjusting that design to suit your arrangement would only require you not to add the Merbau panel on the right-hand side where the wall is and change the lengths of timber to suit your desired size.  

I'd recommend you consider following the guide. Have a look and let me know if you have any questions or concerns or if you'd like to try something different.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects