Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a window servery bench?

Katemerholden
Just Starting Out

How to make a window servery bench?

IMG_0730.jpeg

28f74734-2faf-4691-ada3-0ff3e3a1ad0f.jpeg

Hi guys! We have a piece of timber cut to attach to this window sill to make a servery bench but are unsure how to attach it! Its a brick sill on an angle underneath which makes it hard 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How should we attach this timber?

Hello @Katemerholden 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about attaching a timber servery to your window.

I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to install outdoor servery bench below window? by @Holdent. Their window set up is very similar to yours. Generally, what you need to do is install another piece of timber on the angled part of the brick and fix it in place with Dynabolts to act as support for the bottom of the benchtop.   

Here are a few more amazing servery installations our Workshop members have shared:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
daniknight4
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Katemerholden 

We did exactly the same thing and David actually put a wooden panel into the front of the sloping bricks and then screwed the bench into that. By doing that the bench doesn't slope with the windowsill if that makes sense. I think I posted the process on Bunnings Workshop but I also did a video on the whole thing. I'll put a link to the video and you can watch the whole process if you like, just skip the bit of me talking in the middle😁😂 It actually turned out so well which shocked both of us and it almost looks a little bit like a floating shelf from some angles. Good luck with it!

https://youtu.be/5WHk3eum85I

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Evening @Katemerholden 

Nice idea I must admit :smile: I was going to describe how to make a bench and install some brackets but I watched @daniknight4 's video :smile: Thats a nice job they did and really it satisfies all the same things I was going to suggest but in a nicer look! The only thing Id do different and its only a personal choice is that Id oil the timber instead of staining and varnishing it :smile: I really liked their little end covers for the bricks (windowsill)

Love to see a few pics of your project and your own spin on it!

Dave

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @daniknight4 

:smile: Well I think your idea and the implementation really nails all the spots :smile: I cant add tro it. Definently an idea I will keep in mind for use myself.

Dave

Thank you @Dave-1 

It started out a bit iffy but we are really so pleased with it😊🌸

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects