Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to level sewer inspection point with lawn?

Mos
Just Starting Out

How to level sewer inspection point with lawn?

1000013216.jpg

Hi All,

I am planning to fill my front yard with soil at the same level as retaining wall. The top level of retaining wall is approximately 300mm higher than sewer inspection point. I don't want bury the point and don't want to touch it any manner. Wondering is there any way I can create a cover with lid to protect the inspection point not be buried under soil?

Radius of The inspection point is 250mm. 

Best,

Mos

2.06 MB of 5.76 MB
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to level sewer inspection point with lawn?

Thank you for your question, @Mos and apologies for the slow reply. 

Let me call upon our knowledgeable community members @CSParnell@MikeTNZ and @Jewelleryrescue for their thoughts on how to proceed with your project.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Mos 

Thanks for sharing your question about keeping access to your inspection point in the lawn. I propose installing an Everhard EasyDRAIN Polymer Rainwater Pit Case above the inspection point. The bottom of the pit will of course need to be cut out and a drain must be provided so that water will not stay in the pit. 

I suggest using an Everhard EasyDRAIN Aluminium Grate To Suit Flo-Way Pit so that it will not get sucked up into your lawn mower. Another method to keep access is to create a box made of sleepers, this will allow you to have the top of the cover exactly where you want it to be. I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of how to build it.

One other method is to use a sleeper box in combination with an Everhard EasyDRAIN Aluminium Grate And Flo-Way Pit. Just keep in mind that these methods must have drains in order for the water not to get trapped in the tunnel for the inspection point.

Let me call on our experienced members @JacobZ95 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Hi @Mos,

Obviously it’s up to you what method you choose and @EricL‘s suggestions will work for a considerable amount of time, I’d be concerned that you’re creating something that ultimately would succumb to the test of time.  

Personally, I’d take the opportunity while it is still uncovered to have a plumber bring the inspection point up to grade while it is still easily accessible. I know from experience, plumbers hate digging, if they can avoid doing it, things tend to be a lot cheaper. 

Jacob

Hi @Mos I think @EricL is on the money if you want a DIY solution. Personally for this project I would go with @JacobZ95 recommendation of getting a plumber to extend the inspection point. It will take up less ground space, longer lasting being underground and would expect it wouldn't be an expensive exercise.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects