Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay paving on my patio?

lakiita
Having an Impact

How to lay paving on my patio?

I have an old concrete slab for my outdoor patio that I want to renovate. The slab is level but cracked in a few places. I was thinking of Travertine but then thought maybe this would look ok https://www.bunnings.com.au/brighton-masonry-300-x-300-x-40mm-sand-mypave-paver_p3451558 with the advantage of easily fixable if I mess up because I can just pop in to Bunnings for more. My questions are:

Do you think it will look ok? I had in mind this colour scheme https://www.berger.com.au/inspiration/a-modern-patio-that-shines/?fbclid=IwAR1hfZrxWpG-xLVdlLMh8DO0J...  (my patio is very old fashioned with round columns everywhere)

What would I use to lay the pavers?

What would I use as edgingpatio.jpg

Re: How to lay paving on my patio?

Project is not yet complete. Decided I needed to spend more time washing the surface of the pavers to get polymetric sand dust off before sealing and I won't consider it complete until the sealant is done.

I agree re columns - My Dad's a legend - he did all those and he did it with that monster angle grinder that I could barely lift let alone use. I really have no idea how he did it - he made a template and then did just lots of horizontal cuts until he was happy with it. Definitely beyond my meager skills. However I did all the edges. I'm 9/10 happy with my cutting and 8/10 happy with the laying. Because I haven't laid pavers before I focussed a lot on levelling individual pavers and keeping lines straight not realising that you also have to make sure the pavers are all the same height so there's a little bit of unevenness to the job but I don't think it's enough to trip anyone up so it's not really going to matter and thankfully I'm no perfectionist!! Fingers crossed the weather holds so that I can seal soon!! 

My score may go down if I can't get some of this sand residue off :wink: I bought some paver cleaner today so just washing and rewashing and won't seal until I'm happy with the result. 

Final coat of sealant complete but OMG the smell - its sooooo strong and seems to be getting worse - I hope it fades quickly!!!!

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@lakiita 

:smile: lol The oil scent from what I use when I do my decking has nung around for a weekish. But has faded. I am sure it will, just might take a few days :smile:

Yah to getting the sealant down!

Dave

And the finished product at last. Thanks once again for all the support and advise I LOVE my new patio and all my hard work levelling paid off because we just had some MASSIVE storms and no water pooled inappropriately and there was no flooding in to the house 

20231219_125946.jpg

20231219_130005.jpg

20231219_130008.jpg

  

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@lakiita 

Love it! :laugh: and just in time for Christmas :smile: hahahah where you watching the days count down? Its brilliant when your project stands up to the elements! So many times I am running around in the rain just to see if what I have done is working as I planned!

Very nice work :smile: And now its time to plan the next project! 

Dave

I was definitely worried for a bit there that I wouldn't finish in time but I made it!!! 

I already have my next project in mind but have to save up for it. Next job is going to be a bathroom renovation I think. My second bathroom doesn't have a proper size bath in it so would like to redo it but I will need a plumber's help and the materials will again be quite expensive so it's going to be a while before I can give it a go - which is a shame I definitely have the bug now!!! Will have to occupy myself with restoring my outdoor dining table and chairs but it's an annoyingly fiddly job.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

:smile: @lakiita 

I know that feeling too well.

Currently saving for timber for the patio, timber for the bench for the pool deck, timber for the chair I want to build with a backing and the list keeps growing! Nice idea for your bathroom, I usually sit there and start to sketch what i would like and then find out how to's and modify sketch wise before starting. Really helps me nut it out.

:smile: Restoring things is sometimes slow but so worth it! 

Dave

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yay. Congratulations @lakiita. I'm sure all the hard work was worth it and you'll be able to enjoy this space for years to come.

BTW, what an epic thread - 14 pages of discussion!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects