Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay paving on my patio?

lakiita
Having an Impact

How to lay paving on my patio?

I have an old concrete slab for my outdoor patio that I want to renovate. The slab is level but cracked in a few places. I was thinking of Travertine but then thought maybe this would look ok https://www.bunnings.com.au/brighton-masonry-300-x-300-x-40mm-sand-mypave-paver_p3451558 with the advantage of easily fixable if I mess up because I can just pop in to Bunnings for more. My questions are:

Do you think it will look ok? I had in mind this colour scheme https://www.berger.com.au/inspiration/a-modern-patio-that-shines/?fbclid=IwAR1hfZrxWpG-xLVdlLMh8DO0J...  (my patio is very old fashioned with round columns everywhere)

What would I use to lay the pavers?

What would I use as edgingpatio.jpg

Re: How to lay paving on my patio?

All my excess sand is  in original bags and I have an entire pallet of sand that isn't unwrapped fully - surely I could return it?????

Worst case scenario if I can't return then I am DEFINITELY doing my bathroom next and using the sand for the tiles

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

hahahahah @lakiita 

I feel your stress but take a step back from your body and let it freak out a bit and let your mind think it through :smile:

Everything is stopped now bar that rain.

The sand isnt going anywhere.

Its Queensland! Of course it will dry out fast once that rain goes and then back to finishing off the project.

Just to put it into perspective. I have been sanding my thardwood timber deck back and have noticed that the timber darkens in the 7 days since last sanded so pushed myself this past weekend to sand and oil it... And yeah that rain is down South of Syd as well. I managed two coats yesterday and it rained lightly last night and will be heavy today. So kinda stress but trying to follow my own suggestions :smile: Its part and parcel of us wanting to do things, time constraints and trying to "wait" things out :smile:

I am sure one of teh Bunnings guys who have more knowledge then us will drop by soon :smile:

Dave

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @lakiita 

Ohhh First step Id be doing is droping into the Bunnings store and having a chat with the area where you ordered the bags and see if they will take them back (they may not be able to). At the very least you will have to get the bags back to teh bunnings tore and there may be a fee but it could be worthwhile to have that chat :smile: Second step, Tarp the bags that you have maybe? They are sealed in the bags I know so maybe not needed.

Dave

Ok I have another question - up until now I have been keeping pavers covered coz my Dad thought the risk of furkids peeing or pooping on pavers before sealing warranted it however with the pavers covered the water has nowhere to go so will take longer to dry out

my furkids rarely pee or poo in my patio but it has happened but surely that's easy to clean

but then if the pavers aren't covered and its raining surely then i need to wait even longer for sand to dry because it will go in all the spaces 

to cover or not cover that is the question

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @lakiita 

I think the effort to cover and the benifits it may bring is not worth it. The pavers are already wet from the rain that are going to be wet. The furkids may leave some gifts but should be easy enough to clean hopefully. Really the pavers and sand should dry pretty easily once the rain stops. The sand will act like a wick drawing the moisture out from the surrounding pavers. Next question is, do you have tarps that would cover that large area in the first place?

Dave

my patio has a roof and is attached to my house so only two sides open if that makes sense

the question is if the bedding sand is wet (as it probs will be due to rain) does that mess up the polymetric sand?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@lakiita 

Not sure really. If the pavers are sitting in place and arnt really beoing walked on or sideways pressure being applied I wouldnt think it will matter. You have edges all around your pavers so I think you are in a good place.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lakiita 

I suggest speaking to the customer service counter of the store you purchased the sand from. If the bags are unopened and in good condition it can be returned for credit. Please make sure to bring your docket to the store so that they can track down your purchase.

I don't recommend spreading the polymeric sand when its damp or wet as it activates when it gets wet and clumps together. Your pavers are quite heavy, and they won't be moving any time soon. Plus, the majority of it is under cover so as Dave-1 said you are in a good place. You'll just have to wait the weather out and when the opportunity comes around you can then spread the sand in the gaps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lakiita
Having an Impact

So the weather finally smiled upon me and I git my sand done at last

not sure if I was being too slow but it was actually a really hard jib and took me hours and it was sooooo hot

I was terrified of paver staining from the polymers but I think it turned out OK

Next step is sealant but again it needs to be dry but I want it sealed ASAP tmrw is supposed to be hot and dry also am hoping to get the sealing done but the sealant instructions are not at all encouraging- apparently it needs to be hot but not too hot and not humid 

and apparently i need to mix it with solvent - why don't these things come ready to go 😒 🙄 20231207_171441.jpg

20231207_171429.jpg

20231207_171427.jpg

20231207_171424.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @lakiita 

Looks great! Nicely locked together and I still cant get over your dads or your effort cutting the pavers to go around the post! :surprised:

Scale of 1-10 how happy are you with it? :smile: Id be pushing an 11!

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects