Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay paving on my patio?

lakiita
Having an Impact

How to lay paving on my patio?

I have an old concrete slab for my outdoor patio that I want to renovate. The slab is level but cracked in a few places. I was thinking of Travertine but then thought maybe this would look ok https://www.bunnings.com.au/brighton-masonry-300-x-300-x-40mm-sand-mypave-paver_p3451558 with the advantage of easily fixable if I mess up because I can just pop in to Bunnings for more. My questions are:

Do you think it will look ok? I had in mind this colour scheme https://www.berger.com.au/inspiration/a-modern-patio-that-shines/?fbclid=IwAR1hfZrxWpG-xLVdlLMh8DO0J...  (my patio is very old fashioned with round columns everywhere)

What would I use to lay the pavers?

What would I use as edgingpatio.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to lay paving on my patio?

:laugh: Cheering @lakiita

You are too hard on yourself! That job is so good, Check out around your posts plus the edges! :smile: I could not have done better, well I know I wouldnt have done better truth be told :smile:

As a first project you have set your bar high! :smile: You really have shown what you are capable of! Love the pride of wearing that shirt! :laugh: 

So of course i have a question.... :smile:

How much resources did you have left over?

Pavers?

Sand?

Edgeing/

I always look back at a project and see how much I have "extra" surprisingly it never seems to be heaps (Other then my 5.5T gravel miscalculation lol)

Looking forward to the next project for sure!

Dave

I can't take credit for the posts that was my Dad and I  have no idea how he did it - but the edges I did myself and it was super scary but I kinda feel I nailed it- the levelling is another story and leaves much to be desired 

pavers barely none left sand soooooo much like a pallet and a half

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Eevning @lakiita 

As I said we are too hard on ourselves. It looks great, is solid, not about to fall apart and is very close to what you described you wanted before the start of the project! :smile: I am sure you "Fur babies" will appreciate the pavers :smile:

Dave

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@lakiita 

Yah to very few pavers left and also a yah to the sand! Perfect for a clay garden to mix in with it, The sand wont rot so you could put it in the corner somewher for future projects. Or if your lawn has dips in it, sprinkle some around the lawn. 

Love leftover resources that can be used!

Dave

I was hoping to return my leftovers if I can it is a LOT of sand I'm sca4ed about the polymeric sand wld be awful to mess up at this point!!

Ok I have a new problem - it won't stop raining

everything I read about polymeric sand tells me the pavers need to be COMPLETELY DRY or else they will stick to the surface and 'stain' my pavers

if it takes a week or more for it to stop raining and the pavers to dry will that then make the bedding sand 'move' and my pavers get more unstable thereby damaging the job?

should I give up on polymeric and switch to just non-polymeric sand? Or is it ok to wait out the rain. Qld weather sux :unhappy: I hate summer (I'm a rain and forest kinda girl) and it's always hot and summery here and the one time I need the sunshine it abandons me - what are the chances!! 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @lakiita 

Mmmm I do not have a lot of experience with polymeric sand so I might step back from suggestions for this one :smile:

I didnt really know what it was until now so you have taught me something new. I dont think the pavers will move with them sitting tjhere, if you have that much rain that flows through the area that would be a different issue.  

Dave

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @lakiita 

Sorry I didnt see this post. Mmmm I know Bunnings do take back excess materials that havnt been used but probarly wont take back loose quantites (Unless its in the original bags?) You could offer it for free on your local facebook sites, I see that type of stuff all the time and the material seems to go fast.

Dave

I think it was @MitchellMc (I could be wrong) who told me about it - my Dad isn't familiar with it either which is compounding my angst - it sounds like a good choice but I have never paved and my Dad has paved a lot so if he doesn't know about it then did I mess up by purchasing it???? Do pavers have to be dry if you use non-polymeric? Coz if they have to be dry either way then it doesn't matter which I  use 

rain doesn't flow through the area  but with two open sides it comes in and with no ground as such to seep in too it takes a while to dry off and it was so close to dry and being ready for sand and then it rained again and so now I'm concerned - what if it NEVER dries out for long enough until the end of summer (coz you know I'm not at ALL dramatic) 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects