Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install weatherboard fencing?

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

How to install weatherboard fencing?

Hi wonderful workshop community 

We recently got our new fence installed and now starting to plan out some landscaping.

20230210_192111.jpg

I want it install some weatherboard panels to zone off part of the fence above where the deck will eventually go, using weatherboard panels in the image below.

a-lign-fencng-2__PadWzEyMDAsNjc1LCJGRkZGRkYiLDBd.jpg

From what I gather, I'll need to frame up portions of the space between the posts (RED) for the panels to be fixed to (BLUE).

20230210_192200.jpg

Would love any input from anyone, particularly to do with type of timber, screws, brackets suitable.

Thanks again all.

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to install weatherboard fencing?

Hi @Dave-1 @EricL @mich1972 @MitchellMc 

Firstly, thank you for your help and encouragement on this project. Really was out of my depth but here it is.

Finally completed the weatherboard and FC sheet fencing project. We also laid some turf which should hopefully settle in well.

Here are some snaps from over the weekend when we applied the textured coat to the FC panels.

20230430_141313.jpg

Image (23).jpeg

20230430_141238.jpg

20230430_141431.jpg

20230430_140902.jpg

Image (17).jpeg

20230501_085900.jpg

Next up - building a deck over the concrete and small grass area 

Regards 

----

@diy_hausdesigns 

That has certainly come up so nicely! Especialy from what it was to what you have now! :smile: That is a vast improvement! It streamlines your yard and makes it your own. As usual you have made me think about one of my side fence areas and how I want to makethe fence higher. I think paneling it like you have might be the way to go. I have had that thought many times "biting off more then I can chew" and each time I tell myself to breath and break it down to smaller steps. It dosnt look like you were outa your depth :smile:

Dave

Sensational work, @diy_hausdesigns! You've created a stunning fence and should be very proud of your achievement. You've done a superb job.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your deck incorporated into the area. Please reach out if you need any assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you kindly @Dave-1 

That's true, one step at a time and we will all get there. That definitely helped me when it was a bit hard to see how it would work.

Good luck with your fence as well. Just give it a go!  I would def encourage going with the panels and getting some height too ! 

Cheers again 

----

Thanks @MitchellMc  ! Appreciate the support as always 😄

----

This has been such a useful thread @diy_hausdesigns!! Thanks. What did you use for the texture on the fc cladding sheets? And do you remember how thick the fc sheets were? 

Great work all round

Hi @WingingIt,

Hopefully @diy_hausdesigns can let you know about the products they used. We do have a couple of products with which you can get a similar result. There's the Dunlop 12.5L Render Texture Coat - Colorbond Dune, or for a similar effect, you can go with a painted coating such as Dulux 10L Texture Full Cover Exterior Paint

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @WingingIt and @MitchellMc 

I used the Dunlop product in surfmist colour and the FC was 7mm if my memory serves me correctly.

I recommend a bit of patience with the render paint and just getting the right application too.

Happy to help

Cheers 

----

Thanks for this..both of these products require a float/ trowel application. Is there any other texture based product that can just be rolled on?  The texture paint says rolling on is fine but then needs finishing by trowel. 

I have some experience with rendering but I have a big area to cover and would like a quicker approach. Any suggestions? Thanks. 

Hi @WingingIt 

I used a roller specifically for textured paint instead of those options for the same reasons.. easier

https://www.bunnings.com.au/uni-pro-230mm-medium-foam-texture-roller-cover_p1660574

It was a bit messy but once I had the hang on it, it went well.

----

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects