Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install good times modular decking?

steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

How to install good times modular decking?

Hello,

I have installed a modular decking in my courtyard out back using the good times decking solution from Bunnings. I am pretty sure I used the Merbau Single Panels for the surface. I've checked the decking planner and it lists the decking screws (8g x 65mm) to secure the panels to the frames. The planner doesn't seem to say where these should be installed though.

Can anyone tell me where these screws should be installed? How many per frame?

Never mind... I found it. Can't seem to find a way to delete the post.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install good times modular decking?

Hello @steveof2620 

If you look at page nine for pine/merbau layout you'll notice the first piece installed has a screw in every joist. Now the large Good Time panels come in large pieces, so their screwing pattern is discernible by looking at the size of the panel. 

The yellow dots on the guide show you where the screws are meant to be placed. Just remember to place the screws 15mm from the edge of the panels to prevent splitting them. I highly recommend drilling pilot holes to prevent damaging them.

If you are using a single decking panel such as the SpecRite 90 x 19mm Merbau Pre-Oiled Decking - Random Lengths - 90mm. I suggest putting the screws 15mm from the edge of each side of the decking panel and on each joist and perimeter panel. This would be the standard screwing pattern for decking panels.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

Thank you Eric. That is very helpful.

steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric,

Thanks again for your response. I am looking to add two additional frames to my existing decking. I notice there are two sets of 1116 x 1116 modular frames available:

Looking at my existing deck it looks as though I have the 90 version installed.

I am wondering why there are two versions and when one should be used in preference to the other. 

Also... could I use a 70mm frame with my existing 90 frames? I would like to use the 70mm as that would give me additional room for the 50mm modular decking support foot as the surface upon which I am installing has a sloop so that additional 10mm would come in handy. Would this be OK do you think?

I plan on using four of the modular decking Merbau panels on top of the additional two frames I would like to install.
Thanks for your advice so far.

Hi @steveof2620,

The 70mm version is available for situations like the one you have described, where either limited working height is available or a different type of foot is required. You can certainly use the 70 and 90mm systems together; just make sure that their heights align with each other.  

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

Great,  thanks for that.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects