Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a wood-fired heater on outdoor Merbau deck?

thebakery
Getting Established

How to install a wood-fired heater on outdoor Merbau deck?

have a new merbau deck with covering installed (insulated roofing). The space size is around 12mx 4m. I am forward thinking for next winter and like the idea of a fireplace. 

Is it safe and practical to install a fireplace on the deck? Photo of fireplace attached that I can score second hand. 

If possible how would I go installing? Place on top of cement fibre sheeting, following by tiles? 

I plan on installing some retractable blinds of some sort to keep the heat in during winter. 

Keen to hear thoughts and appreciate advice. 

08E76C8D-27A4-4F83-B77D-D54AFB72AF69.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: advice: wood fireplace on outdoor deck

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @thebakery. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a Masport wood-fired heater.

Here are the installation instructions for that unit.

Most building regulatory authorities in Australia require any wood heater installation to comply with Installation Standard AS/NZS 2918. Different states and councils may have varying regulations. Check local building regulations before installing the appliance. I suggest that a qualified installer complete the installation of your heater. Unless the heater is standing on a heat-resistant floor, such as a concrete slab with slate or tiles, it will be necessary to provide a floor protector (hearth). The floor protector must be no less than 15mm thick and constructed of non-combustible material in accordance with AS/NZS 2918. The floor protector may be laid directly on the combustible floor. For more details and variations on floor protectors refer to AS/NZS 2918 Clause 2.2, 3.3.1, & 3.3.2

You might notice that I've changed the floor protector's thickness to 15mm instead of the 5mm as specified in the linked documentation. I believe the 5mm stated may be an error, as other similar heaters call for 15mm. I've contacted the manufacturer and am awaiting clarification on this. For now, I'd recommend just assuming it is 15mm. You might like to look towards materials like Hardie 2400 x 1200 x 15mm 2.88m² Panel Compressed Sheet, which are deemed non-combustible in accordance with the provisions of the Building Code of Australia. You can also tile over these to improve aesthetics.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the speedy reply and advice. It will assist greatly. 

curious to hear from any members if they have done anything similar. 

Hi @thebakery,

Just an update, the installation instructions for the MBP501 are correct, and a floor protector of 5mm is all that is needed. You don't need to use something as thick as 15mm, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Mitchell

Hi There,

I am thinking of doing something similar and hoping you can share whether you installed your woodheater on the deck and any issues you came up against.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ypahihi. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a wood-fired heater.

Let me tag @thebakery, so they are alerted to your question, and hopefully, they can update us on their project. As mentioned above, I'd recommend you employ the services of a qualified installer for such a project.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

thebakery
Getting Established

Didnt do it in the end. Was going to look good and retaining the heat would be hard. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects