Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a shelf on a tree trunk?

ennoh
Building a Reputation

How to install a shelf on a tree trunk?

We have had to halt the growth of a backyard tree as it was leaning and would eventually hang over the washing line if we left it alone.    We will plant another tree elsewhere in the backyard.   We have cut off the branches and I will poison the tree  so it wont grow anymore, but I would like erect a platform  for a bird bath for local birds.    How can I do this?     Recently birdbath.jpg I saw an elevated bird bath like this on Gardening Australia.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a shelf on a tree trunk

Hello @ennoh 

Thanks for sharing your question about installing a shelf on a tree trunk. I suggest using angle brackets at the side of the tree trunk to hold the shelf at the top. One of the issues with drilling into from the top is that middle of the tree is still wet with sap. This means that anything you screw into that fresh timber will come loose as the timber trunk slowly dries off.

It will be an ongoing adjustment as the tree trunk slowly shrinks, but eventually it will slow down and that is when you can anchor the shelf from the top. 

I suggest using Buildex 10-8 x 50mm Climacoat Treated Pine And Hardwood Decking Screws along with angle brackets to hold the shelf in place.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects