Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a doggy door flap in a rental?

mboZ
Finding My Feet

How to install a doggy door flap in a rental?

IMG_2121.jpeg

Hi all, I will be renting an apartment with a small balcony. It’s an older apartment. The doors to the balcony are actual glass doors not sliding. As it’s are rental, would you have a solution to install a doggy door flap or is there anything out there that could attach to a door for my pups to go in and out?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Doggy door installed in rental- glass door (not sliding)

Hi @mboZ 

If you where  dead keen on a doggy door you could  have that bottom door frame glass removed and a  ply panel with doggy door install for the duration of your rental.  But it is altering  the rental so you really should seek permission for a  tempary change.

Or possible leave the door open and insect proof the balcony with mosquito net depending on sercurity factors around your rental.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to install a doggy door flap in a rental?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @mboZ. We're delighted to have you join us and look forward to seeing and assisting you in your home improvement and garden plans.

Thanks for your question. Great to see you've received advice from @Jewelleryrescue. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will also be happy to assist when he's back online. Let me also tag @LePallet@RubyCavoodle@Remarka6le and @j450n74y to see if they have any thoughts.

While waiting, you might want to check out these 10 ways to make your home pet-friendly for more inspiring ideas on creating a comfortable space for your pups.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mboZ,

That's a difficult style of door to add a doggy door to, so I like @Jewelleryrescue's idea of altering the door for your stay, though I'm not sure how fond the landlord will be of that option. You might be able to use a Hakuna Pets Small Black Patio Pet Door if you leave the door slightly ajar. However, you'd need some way to fix the door in that position, and I feel your security would be compromised.

Let me mention @Dave-1 to see if he has any thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell. Yeah I’m afraid that won’t work either. We are quite security conscious. Thinking of just changing the door to a half glass half wooden door for the time of the rental period. We can install a doggy flap at the bottom ourselves. Then replace it back after the lease has run out.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @mboZ 

:smile: Think you were reading my mind! I was about to suggest to buy another external door and copy the door you have now and replace it. That way you can install a doggy door, it will be secured and then when you leave you can switch them back. It may be cheaper to replace the door plus a doggy entrance then to modify what you have.

Sometimes landlords will go halves in things like this but I am always cautious as the rent seems to get bumped six months later :smile:

Hume 2040 x 820 x 40mm external door duracote flush solidcore $198 (there is a cheaper version but isnt so wide is all)

hakuna pets medium white super tough pet door $71 (there is also a small size and large size door)

lane brushed satin chrome indigo double cylinder entrance lockset $89 (You can take the lock to a locksmith and they can rekey the actual lock to match what you have now even)

Hinges $4.20

So for about $370 you could have it.

Just Looking at your photo again it looks like the door opens outwards? You potentially could put a security screen door on the inside with a doggy door in that. (Tho the door would have to open inwards is all) That way you could have the glass door clipped back, the security door locked and access for your four legged friends.

Dave

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

So, I've dabbled in the whole dog door situation—first, messing around with screens, and then trying out this standing attachment to keep the air con intact. Both were game-changers (and can be seen below), but, you know, they did a number on the existing setup, especially if you're renting and all.

419686194_753664219529194_3564436878947567748_n.jpg

If I were in your shoes, I'd play it safe. Pop that current door into storage like a prized possession. Then, think about getting a new one that either already has a doggy flap or is friendly to having one added. That way, when it's time to bid adieu to the rental, you can swap it out hassle-free. 

Remarka6le

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects