Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a porch swing to alfresco beam?

nvdshams
Growing in Experience

How to hang a porch swing to alfresco beam?

Hi folks

We have recently purchased a porch swing and are planning to attach it to a pair of beams in alfresco. Porch swing contains two chains and the beams are 190x45 each. I can use eye screws but that would put load on a single beam. Is there a way to hang to both beams? Your help will be much appreciated. 

Screenshot_20240113_003213_eBay.jpg

20231127_133711.jpg

20231127_133702.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to hang a porch swing to alfresco beam

Hi @nvdshams 

That beam is holding up a whole lot more roof  rafters and tiles (with out seeing broarder roof  pictures)  So  I should take an extra 300kg on occasions,

Maybe go past the beam into the ratfers sitting on top of beam so drilling into the beam dosnt weaken it. You  can also add more rafter support inside the  roof space,

Where is the  second  beam?  Iwould  want to try stabilise any sideways stress/movement from a  swinging motion.

Hi @Jewelleryrescue 

Thanks for the suggestion. Sorry for confusion but it is a single beam formed by sticking two 190x45 boards together. There is no second beam. Would it be a good idead then to attach a 90x90 or 100x100 post horizontally connected to both sides of wall and hang the swing from it?

Hi @nvdshams 

The easy way out is   attch the swing  to that double beam But every time you drill it and cut it its a little weaker I am not saying it will collapse anytime soon .

So in the photo behind that beam above the white ceiling i am expecting to find  90x45mm roof  raffters. If that is true.

I would like to place  fix 50x 190mm between rafters for a screw in point for the eye bolts on the inside of the roof. One at each end and any swinging movment is supported    That way the swing  eye bolts also  hidden  behind behind the double beam. And the swing is reccessd back under cover  a bit more.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nvdshams,

I'd recommend you fix a solid piece of preferably hardwood 90 x 45mm to the bottom of those beams. Screw through it into both of them along its length with several coach screws. You'll then be able to use a couple of eyebolts in the new timber.

Alternatively, and provided at least screws laminate the two beams together, you should be able to place the eyebolts in one of the beams, and the weight of the swing will be distributed to the other beam too.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nvdshams
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc and @Jewelleryrescue 

Thank you so much for your help. Turns out those two beams are hardwood and were laminated together. I hooked up to one of those.20240201_153830.jpg20240201_153815.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nvdshams,

I am a little concerned after re-reading over this discussion that I didn't put a warning in regards to attaching swings onto existing structural timber beams. Structural beams are designed to hold the load they were installed for. In this case, it was the roof. The original builder did not intend to have up to 300kg of weight and the forces involved with a swing attached to the beam. There is a significant chance that these additional forces could exceed the capability of the timber. 

I do apologise that I didn't include this warning, but I think it's important to point this out regardless of whether the installation has been completed or not. I suggest enlisting the services of either a builder or engineer to verify that the beams are capable of this additional load. This suggestion is what I would have made had I included the warning.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nvdshams
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thanks for the warning, I will engage a builder to take care of it.

Kind regards,

Naveed

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects