Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to grout a saw cut in concrete?

PatDIY_Dad
Cultivating a Following

How to grout a saw cut in concrete?

I had some concrete done by a "professional" concreter and I was never happy with the Band-Aid fix he did to allow water to fall properly away. As he didn't do the fall properly, water was pooling in the center of this square bit of concrete in the picture

The water was supposed to fall in the direction of the arrow. To fix the problem he did a little cut deeper at the bottom and shallow at the top so the water falls.

It does work but looks awkward ( crap ). The problem is trivial so I didn't want to bother him about it but I would like to see if I can patch it up close enough so it doesn't look as bad and I can just drill a small hole or two for water to slowly drain

Can I fill this section with structural grout or would you just mix some cement again? and try fill it and smooth it off?

I can try to colour match it with a couple of test mixes just on some crap wood or something and record the closest match

The concrete quote had 1.8m3 of 25mpa charcoal coloured concrete. I know he used one bag of charcoal colour in 1.8m3 so would have to match the same ratio. I can ring the concrete supplier he bought it off and find out how much was one bag

Would this be the best method you think?

PatDIY_Dad_0-1710121352935.png

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Grouting a saw cut in concrete

Afternoon @PatDIY_Dad 

Small jobs can be a pain. I am unsure how the cut helps it drain unless the concrete section is concave?

I really dont know of a product that yyou could use that would work well and blend nicely.

Is that new section of concrete level with either side of the path?

As much as it hurts maybe remove it and redo would have a better overall effect.

Even trivial things become a pain :smile: If it bugs you I would be revisiting the person who did the job and letting them know.

If not then id be tempted to remove and replace as a pebble in your foot becomes a huge pain, having your path with an iritant can do the same. 😕

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @PatDIY_Dad 

I agree with @Dave-1, it is very difficult to colour match concrete. It's more art than science especially if it involves coloured oxide. Another drawback to patching concrete is that it is very visible. Even if you got very close to the colour you were after, you would still be able to see where the patch occurred. 

Using a tube type filler will cover the leak, but it becomes even more obvious. I recommend going with Dave-1's suggestion and that is to contact the trades person who did this and ask them to finish the job properly.

Otherwise, there is always the option of changing the whole thing.

Let me call on some of our experienced members @homeinmelbourne and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PatDIY_Dad
Cultivating a Following

The colour doesnt have to match 100% because I know this never will but if I can get it close where only I noticed it that would be good enough

The concreter was unreliable, and this isnt a big enough problem to deal with him again. If I were to do the concrete again I'd just do that part myself

But thats not an option as I am getting a shed build around that

See how there is a rebate on the left of the picture? The shed is going there against the rebate

What the concreter did do a good job of though is he got the colour very close to the existing coloured concrete ( on the far right of the picture)

Thats why I was going to go the same ratio he used and test it out see how close I can get it then whatever I get the closes Ill fill it 

Hi @PatDIY_Dad failing not getting the concreter back to complete the job properly and if you not too particular about colour matching, the easiest solution maybe to use a grey concrete gap sealant. This will provide a flexible non-cracking solution that within a short time of weathering will probably be un-noticeable.

Regards, Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects