Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get electricity outside in a rental?

itsangus
Getting Established

How to get electricity outside in a rental?

Hi All,

I am wanting to begin DWC hydroponics outside but don't have  access to an outdoor outlet. 

We have sliding doors in our rental with our fly screen and our glass door. We have no windows. I was thinking something along the lines of installing (with permission from landlord) one of these:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/hartman-385-x-270mm-large-pet-door-for-patio-and-sliding-doors_p3961412

And then running a cord from indoors out there. But no guarantee the landlord will be okay with that.

But if anyone has any other ideas please let me know!

Cheers!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to get electricity outside in a rental?

I would be contacting your landlord and asking for an outdoor power outlet to be installed @itsangus. It would be an asset to the property and much less obtrusive than a pet door. I imagine a power cord coming from inside to outside would be a significant trip hazard. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @itsangus

Starting DWC ( deep water culture ) hydroponics is a fantastic project. One of the key elements in DWC is the continuous supply of oxygen being pumped into the water. This means that you'll need a reliable source of electricity for your pump. If you are serious about setting up your DWC garden, I suggest engaging the services of a registered electrician and having them prepare a quote for the installation of an outdoor power point. Once you have the quote all you need to do is to ask permission from the landlord.

Running a cord from inside your house to your DWC setup is full of hazards. Looking at it from a safety point of view, it will be better if it is done properly and professionally.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

itsangus
Getting Established

Thank you, Jason! I've popped in a couple of quote requests with my local sparkies! Wish me luck!

itsangus
Getting Established

Thank you, Eric! I didn't consider the hazards and am already quite accident prone so thank you for bringing the safety side into the forefront. I've popped in quote requests with my local sparkies. I hope the landlord says yes!

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@itsangus if there is a power point on the inside wall that a licensed electrician can go back to back with this will end up being a fairly quick job.

Carl

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @itsangus and please reach out again if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Hi @itsangus 

I like @CSParnell  way of thinking adding an external power point back to back is a  simple  job which will keep  Electrician costs down.

What about a power point in the roof cavity and have  the  outdoor extention cord come in under metal  or tile. Not  my first plan.

But owners can be quite strict about their properties.

So  @itsangus a simple soloution  as a plan B can you open a window and get a power cord out?   It dose not matter if a power cord jammed into a  tight crack of an window opening as needed most of the make up of it is  double insulation and is flexable But not near sharp  metal edges. The internal wires of copper are fine and flexable they have to be  but they  can be squashed but not repeatedly Ie  if you  can sqweeze and extention cord out the window and possible run it up the wall  high and across to your project   and a high post so you can mow under it and not strangle some body.

Further more I site powercords are tough ( not the cheapies but cheapies are thinner too.) you can  have a power cord out the door and  have 50 children a day opening and closing that  aluminium door on to a cable and it will survive for years so one little window squeeze is nothing if it  is left there a a semi permanent setting.

Running power cords out of the door not the best solution as a   it could be slip and trip hazzard and cables can roll unexpextantly if you step on them.

Once outside consider adding  an outdoor power box /saftey box 

Bunning Excalibur 6 Outlet Outdoor Safety Box I/N: 4360215 $47.59

I don't think a owner would be opposed to an outdoor outlet being installed especially if it's back to back, even if you sweeten it with you pay for materials and they pay for labour or 50/50.

At the end of the day you will end up spending about "x" trying to make something work that just won't do the job you need it to.

Thats my advice from a qualified electrician 😉

hi there, that sounds brilliant. Thanks so much! There actually are two outlets that we could do back to back. In your experience as a sparkie, would you be able to give a ballpark figure re: cost? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects