Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to form up concrete stairs?

Ryno292
Finding My Feet

How to form up concrete stairs?

Hi all,

Looking for some advice or tips on forming up compliant concrete stairs.  I need I form up and build a concrete staircase to get council sign off on a house Reno.  Would like some guidance on what materials would be best to use and what step sizes and gradients are required to satisfy council regulations.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to form up concrete stairs

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ryno292. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a staircase.

I'll include below an excerpt from the National Construction Code regulations. That should point you in the right direction. Since councils can stipulate their own additional requirements, it's best to check with them on what regulations they'd like you to adhere to. They might just point you back to the NCC.

Construction-wise, you'll need to use reinforcement mesh to create the structure and then box it in with formwork. Depending on how large these stairs are and whether you have had experience with formwork, it could be an idea to enlist the services of a professional. Certainly, anything over three steps high would need substantial formwork to hold the weight of the concrete. Please remember your PPE when working with concrete and power tools, including a facemask, gloves and safety glasses.

Have a read-through, and then let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects