Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix scratches on aluminium security door?

chris97
Getting Established

How to fix scratches on aluminium security door?

Hello,

How best to fix some light scratches around the outside of the security door?385522772_342816755164716_5027025571155859277_n.jpg

Not against taking it off and spraying it but with some aluminium exposed im assuming i will need some kind of primer/paint mix? If there's an easier solution I'm all ears. What brands/products are recommended?

Thankyou :smile:

Chris

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to fix scratches in security door

Hi @chris97 

How about a  fresh look for your door and  frame?

A bit of light sanding on those scratches to feather out the marks 600Gt paper should do it.

Use masking tape and paper to mask surrounding walls,  Loosley Roll paper up and push it through the door grill and open it covering fly screen all over Slipping in some tape to hold loose paper in place.

Next pick   your favorite new door color and spray can  paint away a  new fresh door way

Any metal or acryilic  spray paint will work well here no need to really under coat it as aluminim will hold paint fine.

Would  love to see your new door.

1 can of spray paint will just do the job.

2 cans of spray paint will work and have left overs as  those marks look like dog  claw marks and I am predicting  a little left over paint will be handy to cover any new fresh  marks of any kind.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fix scratches on security door?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @chris97. It's a pleasure having you join us and we look forward to seeing and assisting you with your home improvement and garden projects. 

Great to see you've received advice from @Jewelleryrescue about repairing your scratched door. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be happy to provide suggestions as soon as he can. Let me also tag @homeinmelbourneand @DIYGnome in case they have any thoughts. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community @chris97.

@Jewelleryrescue has given excellent advice. 

Here's some inspiration and advice for you to assist further. Please check out the very popular discussion How to paint 80s aluminium doors? which includes exeprt advice, Bunnings how-to videos and examples from other community members who have spray painted their doors. 

Jason

Hi @chris97 

If I am right about those marks being dog or cat claw marks they will scratch there again and again its there version of ringing the door bell to come in or to be let out. 

So after you repaint your door i might recommend a cover plate for those zones siliconed on lightly for easy removal  at a later point . Some plain aluminium sheet cut  up as covers or some chequer plate a little more fancy.  But the plain aluminium will have the same feel for your pet knocking and wont choose  to go to a  new scratch point.  But pets being pets they may prove  me wrong.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix scratches on security door?

Hello @chris97 

Thanks for sharing your question about fixing scratches on your security door. @Jewelleryrescue's suggestion is spot on! You have the option to either repair it with spray paint or cover it with an aluminium plate such as Metal Mate 50 x 3mm 1m Aluminium Flat Bar. Your dog must be very smart and as it lets you know when it's back by scratching at the door.

Another option is to install a pet door; However, you'll need to train your dog to use it otherwise it will continue to scratch at the frame to let you know that its back. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

chris97
Getting Established

Re: How to fix scratches on aluminium security door?

Thanks everyone :smile: I have smoothed out the door with 600 gr sandpaper as suggested and will paint soon

Re: How to fix scratches on aluminium security door?

Hi @chris97 

Love to see final door and  frame painted :smile:  a new paint on door will look great.:)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects