Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix rotten outdoor bench legs?

RenoRaine
Finding My Feet

How to fix rotten outdoor bench legs?

I have a very rustic outdoor bench that has started to rot in some of the legs since I moved to a place with an exposed balcony. Is there some kind of epoxy I can use to fill the rotted ones and also protect the other legs? It's so sturdy, it seems a shame to get rid of it. 

1000004551.jpg

1000004552.jpg

1000004553.jpg

   

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix rotten outdoor bench legs?

Hello @RenoRaine 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's terrific to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about fixing your table legs.

Depending on the table legs structural stability it's possible to repair it using Earl's 250ml Wood Hardener and filling in the gap with Turbo Builders Bog. However, if the leg ends are too weak and brittle, I suggest removing the old legs and replacing them with similar sized pieces.

In order to give your table legs a fighting chance out in the weather I suggest painting the bottom ends of the legs so that if it gets wet it will not absorb the water.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @EricL . I saw this kit with a different hardener. https://www.bunnings.com.au/turbo-500ml-timber-rot-repair-kit_p0347820

It comes to about the same price and has some tools with it too. What do you think of the Turbo brand hardener?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @RenoRaine 

The kit that you mentioned Turbo 500ml Timber Rot Repair Kit is from the same company as Turbo Builders Bog. The only difference of course is that the kit has the tools and hardener included, the Builders Bog itself is the same. 

I've used the Builders Bog to repair my windows and it has performed very well. My best advice when using the Builders Bog is to not apply too much activator otherwise the bog will harden too quickly, and you won't have time to mould it into place.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects