Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix front drain overflowing?

Cattoos
Growing in Experience

How to fix front drain overflowing?

Please see image. Is this rain water or toilet or sewage water? It overflows when it rains but it's not raining n now it stills overflowing. Any idea how it's fixed? Thanks 

Cattoos
Growing in Experience

Re: front drain leaking.

IMG_20230110_170702124_HDR.jpg

Hi @Cattoos 

That drain should be storm water  drain not sewerage.  If it was sewerage it  would smell funky.

So all drain should flow down wards to a lower point and now leak when not raining.

So I am suspecting you  have a blocked drain either local under that grill in photo  or further down your storm water network,

try cleaning the drain and pipe leading out first of  all that plastic lid will lift off.   Next  if drain is claar you can test the pipe by adding water to the grill if it fills more and dosnt empty you have a blockage further down.

Or hire a plumber to  put an pipe cleaning eel down the pipe work and seek there  onsite opinion

Hello @Cattoos

Thanks for sharing that question about your front drain. I believe @Jewelleryrescue is spot on about the possible issue with your drain. Looking at the picture you posted the grass is starting to come out of the drain and odds are its roots are holding back water and debris from flowing away. I recommend trying to clean out the blockages first and testing the drain. If after testing you still get an overflow then I propose going with the recommendation of getting a registered plumber.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cattoos
Growing in Experience

Re: How to fix front drain overflowing?

Thanks but the drain seem to overflow in the evening even it hasn't rained for days and it's super hot. If it's rain water then how come it's overflowing without rain every night? Thanks 

Hi @Cattoos 

Good question re water appearing at night/

Lets think/  

If a pipe was  blocked down the storm water system water going in cant escape quick enough and will back up  more and more apparantly  your  drain is the outlet is the next lowest outlet  for water in   this  over flow situation. This  fact is true.

That is storm water pipe so in theory no rain  should mean  no water. Thats a fact too.

But every one is  connected to your pipe some where in the whole street.

At night people mabye watering there gardens and the  excess water running down the drains to the blockage causing the flow on effects to up to your drain the next lowest water outlet avaliable to water.

Some times people illegally connect to storm water pipes not  sewer as they should. Maybe a  remote possibity  Lazy pool builders might connect to storm water etc

So all the more reason to clear your drain and get inspected as  blockage will only get worse most likely.

Hi @Cattoos

The possibility of the water coming from another source is very likely. Especially if it comes regularly during a certain part of the day. Water coming from the neighbour's property while they are watering their plants is a likely source or perhaps someone is washing their car.

A linked drain is always a possibility, however, removing the weeds in your drain right now will improve the flow of water and perhaps prevent the overflow. It would certainly help if nothing is blocking the drain.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Cattoos
Growing in Experience

Thanks. I have asked landlord but he's just delaying it to get it checked. I now notice some white spots on the same rain water drain overflow. What could that be? Thanks 

Hi @Cattoos 

Hi if you can take a photo of  white spots.

It could be mold could be a mineral deposit

It could be coloured water

It could be salt deposits from a salt water pool over  flow.

Hard to tell

Hi @Cattoos,

As @Jewelleryrescue has mentioned, if you can show us some images, I'm sure we'll be able to identify these mystery spots.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects