Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix exposed wood under pergola?

JamesT
Getting Established

How to fix exposed wood under pergola?

Hi, we have just moved in to an old house with chipped/exposed wood on the roof and under the pergola. How should we fix these so they don't deteriorate. Bonus points if you can suggest what caused it to be in this state?

20240406_161057.jpg

20240406_161044.jpg

  

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix exposed wood

Hi @JamesT,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's fantastic to have you with us.

It's only a guess but looking at how clean the chipped away area is, it almost looks like a previous resident has simply chipped away some loose material.

If all you want to do is prevent further deterioration, it can be as simple as removing any loose material, lightly sanding the area, priming and painting the exposed timber with an adequate external paint to seal it from the weather.

If you want to fill the area to hide the damage, you should use Turbo 500ml Builders Bog, following all manufacturer's instructions and safety advice. Once hardened, lightly sand using 120 Grit Sandpaper, prime using Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 1L and paint using a suitable exterior paint that has been paint matched to the existing.

If you need any further assistance, please reach out.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon @JamesT

I did very much what @JacobZ has suggested above.

And around 35 years ago my father made up sheet metal 'covers' for the exposed beams that also covered the ends.

Many years later I managed to extend the corrugated iron, but I do believe they did slow down the effects of the environment.

Cheers.

20240407_125518.jpg

JamesT
Getting Established

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, Jacob - I appreciate it.

JamesT
Getting Established

Many thanks, Noyade. I am certainly not as handy as you or your dad, but your suggestion has helped sparked an idea. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects