Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix broken gate hinge?

kingj
Growing in Experience

How to fix broken gate hinge?

 Hi 

any ideas how to fix this

IMG_0026.jpeg

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Re: How to fix broken gate hinge?

Hello @kingj it looks like the hinge didn't have a sufficient mating surface, the 2 options that come to mind is to replace the timber OR glue & screw the piece that has broken away back to the gate and apply a square/corner steel plate to spread the weight of the top hinge over a greater area, additionally run long bolts through the entire post to also maximise the sharing of the weight/load. 

Untitled.jpg

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dunnings-100-x-100-x-140mm-m10-galvanised-angle-bracket_p1076757

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hello @kingj,

Great to see you've received advice from @DIYGnome on repairing your gate. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be happy to provide some suggestions. Let me also tag @Tara86@bullfrogchamps and @Allan72 in case they have any thoughts.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon @kingj 

Good suggestion above. Just a welding solution/idea from me.

Cut the tail off the hinge and weld a large piece of steel plate in its place. A piece that will cover most of the post width.

Re-glue the wood and attach the altered hinge. Just a hot day thought. 😁

20231218_130101.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @kingj 

The word "Ugh" comes to mind. Tho good news is its fixable.

Id reglue that broken piece just for looks as a first step. I would then more the hinge and reinstall it plus add another hinge in the middle or even two more hinges to make a total of 4. That should distribute the stresses. For that hinge that is near the cracked off section I would actually run bolts all the way through the timber gate side if possible. That will lessen the chance of the timber being ripped out again. (you could do it for all the hinges)

Dave

kingj
Growing in Experience

The broken piece is not strong enough , I ran a small nail through it and it got cracks ..How Do I add more  hinges on the gate? I mean how to install on metal part.

Hello @kingj add more hinges the way they are already mounted (with tech screws), measure up the hinge and drill locations for metal fixing screws to secure.

BTW when attaching small shards/pieces of wood it pays to drill a hole to avoid it fragmenting....

Screenshot_20231219-182932_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@DIYGnome 

My first thought was "nailed it" :smile: lol but you said exactly what was in my mind. 

@kingj 

Id normally stress about how to attach the hinges as well but the tek screws work well with the existing hinge. You may need to drill a small hole first is about all.

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Overkill can be good thing @kingj  - if the gate is heavy.

20231220_123628.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kingj 

My apologies for the late reply. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @DIYGnome, @Dave-1 and @Noyade. It appears that the two primary screws holding the weight of the gate has turned into a lever and split the timber post. I suggest using a multitool with a plunge blade and cut out a rectangular section of the post. I then suggest filling it in with an H3 treated pine piece cut to the size that you've cut out. I recommend using heavy duty liquid nails in combination with galvanized screws to anchor the repair piece in place.    

Please remember to drill pilot holes to prevent splitting the repair piece.

In regards to the hinge, I propose changing it into a Pinnacle 70mm Fixed Pin Butt Hinge or similar. The mounting screw arrangement will spread the weight of the gate along the length of the hinge rather than just concentrating it into a single spot.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects