Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to drill a hole in exterior brick wall?

foxhound
Growing in Experience

How to drill a hole in exterior brick wall?

Hi,

I am trying to install a spotlight on an exterior brick wall. I have had issues before, drilling and bolting on this brick wall to install clothesline and thanksfully to this group found chemset to resolve my issue. I would appreciate if I can get some help with this new project. Spotlight weighs around 1200g. It has been pre wired already. Below is the link of the light:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-sika-12w-led-twin-security-light_p4371440

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to drill a hole in exterior brick wall?

Hi @foxhound  chemset is hell of a   advanced  measure for a just for hole in a wall with a good fastener will do the  job very well I think the  key is to drill the right hole size for the fastener.  Araldite will work the same if needed.

You  said  pre wired so that means  your light fitting now has limited movement to align its mounting holes? 

The by far easiest  drill to use into brick/cement is a rotory hammer drill like.

Ozito 1500W 5J Rotary Hammer Drill Kit RHD-1550  I/N: 0382377 $99.98

But  if you have a little bit light fitting movement you might be able to move the mounting holes over a horizontal mortar gap and a regular drill with a masonary bit will easially drill mortar out.  Now insert you brick fastener and screw your light fitting in .  a one kg light only needs  one good fixing point as it will hold up100kg plus  but ideally a second screw  will hold  the other side of fitting down flush. Or silicon it works to with tape to hold it overnite.

If there is no wiring on the lights base  drill your own mounting hole through the lamp base alinged with another mortar line .

Do use the correct diameter masonary drill bit for the fittings  specifications for easiest results and no chemset required.

Hope this helps.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hello @foxhound,

Great to see you've received advice from @Jewelleryrescue for your project. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be happy to provide some suggestions. 

Have you seen Eric's comprehensive step-by-step guide How to drill into brick? It contains advice you might find handy for this project.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @foxhound 

When you say pre-wired, do you mean that it has been connected to the mains or there are wires coming out of the base?

For something like a light that is only 1kg I would suggest to drill using 1/4" masonary drill bit and use some green rawl plug to push into the holes. Then its a matter of screwing the screws into the rawl plug.

Things to consider

The hole for the power for the light through the wall (unless you are running conduit to supply the power)

Marking out the holes with a texta when you are happy with the aligmnment of where you want the light.

Saftey specs when drilling.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @foxhound

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1 and @Jewelleryrescue. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend positioning your spotlight properly and marking the mounting holes with a black marker. I recommend starting with a small masonry bit to create a pilot hole for the larger masonry bit. This will make it easier to drill a larger mounting hole. 

I propose using Ramset 8 x 50mm Universal Anchor - 4 Pack. It's one of the most versatile mounting screws you can use and it's easy to install. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to drill into brick?

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles, and a mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Dave-1,

I question your Rawlplug sizes, yes, 1/4" is 6mm, but I really hate them green plugs, they only accept certain types of screws, or they fail to tighten

adequately.

I've used literally millions of 6mm plastic Rawlplugs (the actual brand) and they've always been Grey.

Admittedly I've always bought mine from places like Ideal Electrical or Cory's.

I've just found these plugs so simple to use and I have the proper Drill bits to suit them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a personal go at you, nothing in the slightest......

Cheers,

Mike T.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

:smile: @MikeTNZ 

Yes they may be 6mm but 1/4 and 6mm "wiggles hands" I actually like masonary screws more so. Back when I used the green rawl plugs a lot, the masonary screws didnt exist. (well I dont rem seeing them ) I still find them easiest for a range of sizing (such as the screws that may come with the spotlights) I am thinking easiest to use and easiest to not mess up as in it can be distance can be out a little and still work. You just had me go look at the drill size for the green rawl plug (and yeah I dont trust my spelling either :smile: ) 6.5mm pilot hole, phew, my memory wasnt playing tricks!

I have bought them from TLE, Gorden Macs and Bunnings over the years, still have part of a roll just in case :smile:

Didnt think you are having a go, everyone has their own preferences, something we learn about over time. You have yours and I have mine. 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects