Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a leak in tile roof?

hesamshimi
Cultivating a Following

How to fix a leak in tile roof?

Hello

In a wet day I had a look in my roof space and noticed one tile looks a bit wet like a droplet possibly leak from outside ?

Is it normal or I better to have it checked by a professional ?

Is there any DIY product from bunnings for this ?

Cheers

20231221_195651.jpg

20231221_195655.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to fix a leak in tile roof?

Hi @hesamshimi 

Concrete tiles when they are older lose the glaze from the top  and if you ever pressure wash them and new ones to you might see the tile color washing down to the gutters. In time  concrete tiles  can absorb some water due to glaze loss and may even become damp but should not  drip water as that is a problem,  When the water soaks completly through its  time to paint your  roof with a very good membrain paint like Nu tech Nu tile 

Not cheap but long lasting resealing the concrete pores.  

But the design of the concrete tile roofs are sloped so by the time most rain storms are over the water  has run away into the gutter and water dosnt have time to sit and soak in much if at all.

It maybe noted that  freak driving rain can  splash  a little spray under a tile roof  as can a  pressure washer this is of no concern as they still doing there job as  good roof tiles.

But your tiles look 100% ok no wet spots, no cracks,no drips  of any kind. so you are safe. and good to go. If you wish check the cement pointing under the ridge caps as usually they fail first and the cracks direct water into the roof at times but not in your case .

If you think you have a leak take  some toilet paper up there with you and  feel around with it if there is any water the paper will become wet as not all water drips easy to see on a stormy night.  Then use  fresh paper to track source of  water leak ie the highest point usually.

Then  you can mark the tiles  with a bright coloured crayon for inspection /repair ASAP 

If you have a cracked tile Simply generously  clear silicone the two halves back together if you dont have spare tiles avaliable.  Open the  tile halves and silicon both halves and reinstall them in roof pushed together.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply mate.

I noticed that it happened to be a cupboard box just under it and it seemed to be wet and dried. Likely that there was a bit of dropping in the rain. The tile is in awkward part of the roof and I cannot access to it from outside easily. But it is just in front of entry to the roof space so I put a generous amount of water proof silicon sealant (https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-415g-brick-and-concrete-sealant_p1230973?region_id=118182&gad_so...) on that area, as in the picture. Hopefully it stops any possible leaks. You think it might work?

Cheers

20231222_172411.jpg

20231222_172811.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @hesamshimi 

That's excellent advice coming from @Jewelleryrescue. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend using Selleys 290ml Clear Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant. It's a clear waterproof sealant suitable for interior or exterior use. It has excellent weather and UV resistance and can be applied on wet or dry material. It forms an instant seal, even when applied in the rain.

I suggest getting a professional to inspect your roof as they will have the necessary safety gear to keep safe while they are checking your roof tiles. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.   

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi  @hesamshimi 

Water leaks are very pesky hopfully you got it but  I think  your water is hitting that black timber (mold?) on the upper photo timber the tiles  are sitting on.  Next good rain check that black timber for wettness ie dunny paper and then look above that.  Where you siliconed might be where the moisture ran down and formed a droplet heavy enough to fall.  Try  joslting local  tiles around a bit see if they sitting right.

But until your sure  can I recommend a small  tarp inside you roof across the wet zone with the edges tied up like a cup shape so your interior is protected mean while from little drips.

If you have  major leaks  tarp has to go outside as the weight will build up and colapse ceiling other wise.

I had a  roof leak and it took a couple of trips into ceiling before I discovered which tile wasnt bedded properly (sat a little crooked leting splashes in. The tarp saved a lot of  potential damage mean while.  And its still in the roof just in case. 

Thanks for the tips @Jewelleryrescue 

That back timber is not mold, it's just its color. I'll keep an eye on it to see how it goes.

The thing is I saw this tile just accidentally because it's right in front of the entrance to the roof space, I'm now concerned about other majority spots that cannot be seen from inside. You have any way to check the entire tiles by any chance ?

Cheers

Hi @hesamshimi

Thanks for checking out the black looking timber great its not mold that is another pain to fix.

To check your whole roof.: If its stays dry while raining your safe.  Only real way is to wait and look at your internal gyprock it will get a water stain especially during a down pour so scoot around then and look for gyprock wet spots from floor level usually with a brownish halo effect when dry.

I had an aircon condensation tray leak once  not connected to rain at all as a point of different water leaks.

Then the hunt is on. (after you get your back up tarp in place )

If the leak is in a tight crawl space the only option is in dry weather search for tile cracks and openings from outside  the on the roof (becarefull)  as meantioned  before the ridge cap pointing is usually the biggest failure point as it cracks way from the tile side making a mini pool that can over flow inside not down the tiles. Loose tiles from wind. Tile cracks are obvious. Look for dips and sags in your roof line as frequent wet timber starts to rot and fail. Leaves in gutter can cause water to back up into your eve space and allow water to splash in wards.

Freak storms can blow water upwards under the tiles but this is extreme  weather mostly cyclonic in winds and rain very rare in this case just  let inner roof dry out. True problems  come form regular leaks.

If I get a leak I push a  stiff wire through ( 300mm or so) the gyprock in the centre of the leak from  inside the house so I can find it from within roof space when I go up there as its raining hunting with dunny paper for wet spots.   Wow that sounds oddly very wrong.

So If you roof and outer wall clear of wet spots breath easy.

@Jewelleryrescue Thanks very much mate for useful information and tips

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects