Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to finish an outdoor picnic table made with treated H3 Pine?

cjbro19
Just Starting Out

How to finish an outdoor picnic table made with treated H3 Pine?

Hi Team, 

I have made a picnic table out of treated H3 pine. I want to smooth the surface finish and have read a lot of articles about the dangers of sanding etc. I'm looking for some advice on this. Is it even safe to have the table as treated H3 pine? Should I just coat it in paint to smooth it? 

Cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to finish an outdoor picnic table made with treated H3 Pine

Hello @cjbro19 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about painting your outdoor picnic table.

I don't recommend sanding the surface of the timber as it has been treated with chemicals. Once the sanded dust is in the air, it can pose as a health hazard. I propose using Zinsser 1L Water Based Smart Prime Undercoat on your table. 

It is a next generation interior/exterior undercoat that offers the performance of an oil-based undercoat in an advanced water-based formula. It has dependable stain blocking power with fast-dry convenience, exceptional flow and levelling and outstanding adhesion to glossy surfaces. 

This primer allows you to use any topcoat you prefer. For example, the Dulux Weathersheild is a water-based paint. It is an exterior paint designed to provide a tough and hardwearing finish for protection in all Australian weather conditions.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects