Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gap between brick wall and external floor?

samuelvk
Growing in Experience

How to fill gap between brick wall and external floor?

Hi Guys, I have a single storey house where it has a gap between external brick wall to the cement floor of the pergola. I understand from one of the posts it is to accommodate any movement. But I'm bit concerned as I can see in some places the gap is more than 1cm and insects are crawling out of it during night times. 

Need a suggestion whether it will create a environment for termites to enter through brick gaps and also want to eliminate the pest activity in this gap space. 

Kindly suggest some ideas and solution for this.

Attached photos of some of the gaps 

1000042148.jpg

1000042147.jpg

1000042146.jpg

   

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill gap between brick wall and external floor?

Hello @samuelvk 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about filling the gap between your floor and brick wall.

My apologies for the late reply. Looking at the photos you posted it appears that the gap is not too severe. I suggest using Sika 300ml Grey Sikaflex 11FC Plus Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant. For the gaps that are very deep and a bit large I recommend putting in Moroday 15mm x 5m White Gap Filler Rod to prevent the sealant from flowing too deep into the gap.

I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to close gaps between brick wall and concrete? by @nsavi. There are some excellent suggestions regarding insecticides. 

If you have any other questions we can help you with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

I took a look at the pics you shared, and it seems the gap isn't too wild. Totally agree with @EricL's suggestion on using the Sika Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant. It's a solid choice. For those deeper gaps, Eric's got a good call with the Moroday White Gap Filler – helps keep the sealant in check. Give that a shot, and hopefully, it puts an end to the insect escapades at night.

Remarka6le
samuelvk
Growing in Experience

Thanks @EricL . Will give a try and let you know. 

samuelvk
Growing in Experience

Thanks @Remarka6le

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @samuelvk, and please reach out again if you require further assistance or get stuck.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects