Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to extend the height of a cubby house?

PrudenceF
Just Starting Out

How to extend the height of a cubby house?

Hi, I need some advice with my cubby. We got a Kmart cubby last year and my eldest has shot up and now hits his head a lot going in and out. Would love to raise the cubby’s height, but not sure how.

i have read through all the threads and there was a comment in one saying to use treated pine sleepers or concrete blocks but would love some more information on how to do this?!

IMG_9621.jpeg

IMG_9620.png

  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to extend the height of a cubby house?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @PrudenceF. We're pleased to have you join us and trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our wonderful members.

Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will be happy to assist you as soon as possible. Let me also tag some experienced cubby house builders for their thoughts in the meantime: @LePallet@Tara86@Yorky88 and @woodalwaysworks.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to extend the height of a cubby house?

Hello @PrudenceF 

Thank you for sharing your question about increasing the height of your cubby house. I suggest having a look at this discussion - Cubby house base ideas? by @SxcMnx. In the discussion there is a suggestion of how to use sleepers as a base for the cubby house, which incidentally will raise the height of the house by 200mm+.   

Using concrete blocks is technically a combination of building a shed floor with concrete footing at the bottom. I recommend having a quick look at this discussion - Best waterproof garden shed floor? Thoughts on Pavelock? by @Minty. There is an example of how the concrete blocks known as DEKO 250 x 150 x 150mm Instant Concrete Foundation Block are used in combination with timber framing to create the base, which will increase the height of your cubby house.

If you wish to make it even taller, the next way to do it is to build a low-level deck. This will require a fair bit more D.I.Y. knowledge as you will be building a complex structure.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects