Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to extend an uneven fence?

wang_yanlei
Just Starting Out

How to extend an uneven fence?

Hello community!

I'm looking to install a fence extension on my existing fence, which is uneven with the back being higher than the front. I want to make sure the extension looks nice and seamless. Is there any idea how can I do it?

Open to suggestions and experiences! Thanks in advance. 🏡 #DIYFence #HomeImprovementTips

The fence from inside.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

The fence from outside.

4.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to extend an uneven fence?

Hello @wang_yanlei 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about extending your fence.

It is possible to extend your fence. If you look carefully at your neighbour's fence, you'll notice that it was extended using a trellis, but the fence was trimmed level so that it would look straight. However, the the next section of the fence would be higher, and it would make their fence line look like stairs.

That is one way of adding an extension. Another method involves just adding a panel such as the Matrix Fence Extension. This extension can be put on in a straight manner or you can duplicate your neighbour and have it go up in a staircase like manner. 

One other way is to use timber and build a mini fence on top of your existing fence so that it looks like it is seamless from the outside. However, you will see timber framing on the inside of the fence.

Here are some fence extension projects our Workshop members have shared:

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @woodalwaysworks, @homeinmelbourne and @TedBear for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @wang_yanlei 

You know when you look at a fence and go "thats a nice fence" lol Well I just looked at your existing fence and though "man thats straight"  Thats a nice fence!

You could bolt higher posts say on the right hand of each of your existing posts and have them taller. If you have 3 bolts through the new post into the overall old post it will be solid. Once you have extended that then depending on how transparent you want the fence to be you have a bunch of options.

You could hang the plastic scrolls off it matrix 2410 x 1205mm charcoal autumn screen panel  using two new rails on the extended posts.

You could have straight new pailings attached via the new rails at the top of the fence.

You could have diagonal pailsings at 45deg that match the top of your fence and head towards  the back of the block. (Would break it up from being a fence but the hardest one to do)

The last idea came to me while I was trying to describe how to put the extension posts on. You could overlay taller pailings along the fence itself. So install a 1.8m high pailing half over one of the old pailings and half over the one next to it. (This way you dont need to extend the posts or add new railings)

Dave

woodalwaysworks
Making a Splash

Yours and your neighbours fence are two different construction methods. For a fence built on a hill your neighbours was built stepped so every panel is level where yours is raked, built with the fall of the ground.
Installing extensions which all finish level is going to be tricky, it also looks like your palings have a pretty short finishing length above the top rail so not much for the inside foot of the fence topper to fix to.

I’d check all your posts first, make sure they’re solid and the fence isn’t going anywhere as you are making it taller and a greater sail for the wind.

Then consider adding timber extensions to the posts first, which you will then add your fascia to. If you want it level it will need to be stepped like your neighbours and the first piece of timber cut at an angle to match the top of the fence. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects