Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to divert water from carport?

susi
Getting Established

How to divert water from carport?

Hi I am on an upper deck and rain falls off the deck and steps and makes carport area wet and goes green after a time. Someone came and put silicone along the steel bit of the deck and down the stairs bit it is all lifting off. What can I use here as a water barrier to stop the water getting into the carport? If there was a way I could stick some small channeling to the steel of the deck to make a gutter I may not need to do the steps. Otherwise I was thinking some PVC angle and glue it down with something instead of an ugly silicone bead.

20230420_142133.jpg

20230420_142139.jpg

  

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to divert water from carport?

@susi 

That looks like an interesting problem. A couple of questions for you.

Is there any drainage on the top part of that deck at all? (The fake grass may be covering it?)

I do like the silastic idea lol but wouldnt expect it to last for any length of time.

If the deck dosnt have any drainage (It probably should have somewhere) For the long level part you could fasten a length of Gutter to the side (with screws/bolts into the concrete with silastic behind it and have it drain away via a downpipe. For the steps, maybe a face plate (think of the size of a skirting board) fastened diagonaly down the outside of the steps with silastic barrier between it and the steps. That way the water won't run over the edge.

Hope its a start to some ideas.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to divert water from carport?>

Hi @susi,

It's great to see that @Dave-1 has already been assisting. I love the idea of a wide strip of timber diagonally down the side of the stairs. 

If the silicone has been working reasonably well, I'd recommend removing it on the deck and sticking down an aluminium angle or plastic moulding with Sikaflex 11FC. If you wished to do the stair with an angle, too, I'd recommend the plastic as it will be easy to cut with a mitre box and saw.

If it's only a small amount of water that drips from the deck edge, then you could fashion yourself a small gutter from an aluminium channel. Alternatively, for larger flows, PVC guttering can be screwed directly to the face of the deck and diverted away as you and @Dave-1 have suggested.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
susi
Getting Established

Hi Dave oh that is awesome, yes a face plate is a good idea!

No the deck has no drainage its a real pain. When over-watered plants drip you have to be careful if walking underneath. I dont think I am capable of trying to drill through that steel and concrete, too hard for me, but if I can catch it on the stairs, quite a lot of water depending on rainfall, it will kept the carport area dry. The silicone has worked til now, but it doesnt look very nice, so that face plate is looking good if I can somehow attach it. Can I use some kind of concrete glue? I guess it depends on what the faceplate is made of. Will explore those ideas. I will have to do similar along the deck edge but instead put a small silicone bead or that Flex stuff and then press that PVC or corner aluminium strip ontop, that will look better. The only other thing I can think of is to attach the gutter/channel (doesnt need to be wide) along the edge of long bit by tying it from the bottom of the railing and then silicone/glue to the edge to seal it against the steel. If it means maintaining every 4 years, so be it, I cant do that heavy drilling stuff, too hard for me.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@susi 

I often just wander around the aisles at bunnings. I do like coming up with other uses for an item then the one it was designed for. Down the Aluminium edging aisle could be a good walk for what you want. :smile:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/products/building-hardware/steel-aluminium-sections/aluminium-extrusions...

A whole bunch of different shapes and a couple of colours :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects