Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build wooden ramp for entry to home?

BJbear230247
Just Starting Out

How to build wooden ramp for entry to home?

need to build 2 outdoor wooden ramps for wheelie walker entery to home, type of wood and any safety ideas, size approx 

1  x 24" long x 30" wide ground level to 4" high

1   x 32"  long  x 30"  ground level to 5" high

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build wooden ramp for entry to home?

Hello @BJbear230247 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building wooden ramps.

I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to build a wheelchair ramp? by @Noyade

It's important to consider the strength of the person using the wheelie walker. If they are not very strong, it will be necessary to lengthen the ramp so that they will be able to gradually go up the slope.

I suggest using MicroPro Sienna Sleepers in conjunction with 70x35 H3 treated framing timber. I propose using 1220 x 810mm 12mm Plywood Hardwood Marine AA Grade as the cover. I recommend using Buildex 10-8 x 40mm Climacoat Treated Pine And Hardwood Decking Screws to join them all together.

To prevent slipping, I suggest gluing a flat rubber mat on top of the marine ply. 

I've placed a sample sketch below to give you an idea of how you could possibly assemble a ramp.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your ramp assembly.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

thank you, ERIC, for the advice

It's great to see that you found @EricL's advice useful @BJbear230247. Please let us know if you run into difficulties or have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects