Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover ceiling of front porch?

Herrenovacation
Having an Impact

How to cover ceiling of front porch?

Hi all, 

Just wondering if anyone has and ideas or tips on how to cover or make the ceiling of my front patio look a little nicer. It's currently concrete and has a few pipes showing (water and electricity). 

I don't want to lower the ceiling by too much as it's already quite low in the outdoor stairwell. 

I know I could just paint it but wondering if anyone has any better ideas. 

I already have new light fittings purchased.    

20231115_154014.jpg

20231115_154031.jpg

20231115_154059.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cover ceiling of front porch

Hello @Herrenovacation 

I believe the best way to make the conduits blend in is to paint it the same colour as the ceiling. I don't think covering the pipes with more materials will make them more pleasing to look at. The only other way to hide them is to cut into the concrete and put the pipes into the concrete then render the surface again to hide the pipe work. But that would be very labour intensive and take a fair bit of time.

Let me call on our experienced members @Peggers, @lifestylebymari, and @craftyhopper for their recommendation.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to cover ceiling of front porch?

Hi @Herrenovacation,

I reckon once you scrape off all the vine remnants and paint the ceiling, including the conduit, it is going to look much better. 

You could then look at updating the lighting - Bunnings has a large and affordable outdoor lighting range to choose from to suit your decor. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good afternoon @Herrenovacation 

Thats a few vines you have there, well leftover vines that is :smile: Hiding conduit can be a pain. When I first saw your roof I thought of actually accentuating the pipework with more pipework running the same way. Think retro industrial with steel piping. You could blend the one pipe into multiple pipes that "look" nicer.

The other idea that came to mind is using long timber slats say 20mm by 20mm and running them along the roof in the same direction as the conduit (maybe 3 each side of the conduit, or even have a few "batches" of them on your ceiling) and continuing after you light so it draws the eyes away from the stark single conduit. The timber could be oiled a dark colour or left lighter.

Id see about getting rid of the vine leftovers and repainting the roof and walls first. (also look into how the vine grew into the area so you dont have it wanting to come back for a visit :smile: )

Dave

Thanks @Dave-1 appreciate the advice, very helpful, and exactly what i was looking for also kind of what I was thinking myself. 

After cleaning it up I have considered spray painting the current pipework and then using (maybe peal and stick) timber planking to not take from the height of the ceiling. 

Will share images once I get around to finishing the project. Thanks again for not suggesting paint it white haha. 

Afternoon @Herrenovacation 

Sounds like a plan :smile: Id hesitate to use anything "peal and stick" I would sugest a couple of battens acros the area and that way you get to screw waterever to the battens instead of direct into the concrete ceiling. (Ive never been succesful with anything peel and stick is my main reasoning)

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects