Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover a concrete retaining wall?

ashleasmith
Growing in Experience

How to cover a concrete retaining wall?

IMG_7996.jpeg

IMG_7977.jpeg

IMG_1151.jpeg

IMG_1152.png

Hi everyone,

Hoping to get a little bit of advice ☺️

The above photos show the front landscaping for our new home, and I’d like to make some improvements to the concrete retaining wall.

I am thinking of extending the retaining wall to meet the garden bed, eliminating that annoying little patch of lawn between the bed and the retaining wall (it’s really annoying to mow!).

Thinking of adding an end post on the right and cutting down some concrete sleepers to slide in.

Secondly though, and this is the part I need some advice about -

I don’t like the look of the concrete retaining wall, and I’d like to look at covering it somehow.

I had considered covering it with blueboard and rendering over it, but I know a certain gap has to be left between the wall and the blueboard to prevent water damage. The main issue I have with this is that the gap between the retaining wall and the footpath is only around 4cm, so not much room for a timber frame and then blueboard on the top.

Another option I had thought of, was to perhaps use composite decking (like Ekodeck) vertically to achieve a similar look to my inspo photo above. I’d also want to cover the top of the retaining wall as well as the front. Has anyone ever done this before, and what does everyone thing about how this might look?

Also FYI, I’m planning on cutting down the metal posts along the retaining wall - initially, our developer had requested everyone in the estate to have a front fence, but no one is doing it and we don’t want one lol :smile:

Thanks

Ash

Re: How to cover a concrete retaining wall?

Thank you so much, I do really appreciate your response and advice ☺️

My step-father would definitely need to help me with this project and he’s quite handy, so I’m fairly certain he’ll have the tools I’d need to cut the stone veneer!

Hi @ashleasmith 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your retaining wall project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Ashlea, l would strongly recommend getting some advice from a company that sells Stacking Stone products. They could advise on the appropriate adhesives as well as give some suggestions in regard to a capping stone of some description to sit on top of the wall.

Good luck 👍😁🎄

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects