Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to convert an unused space to a car park?

Sugar
Having an Impact

How to convert an unused space to a car park?

130F2600-5738-41DE-99B1-28E7BE8672B7.jpeg

E483544F-137B-48D2-B755-3DC01ACE2749.jpeg

 Above images area from front of my house near to garage. 
this area is not in use at the moment.

my plan was to cut the tree( not sure yet, this is providing cool air but black seeds on the floor is annoying during rainy season) and pave this red shaded area and create another space for car parking or planting some flowers with nice garden bed. 
please suggest me here what can be done here.

you might have seen a lot of advice asking me from other project also but yes, many plans but need to prioritise.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: front spare space to car park or ???

Hi @Sugar,

It sounds like you'll need to decide on what you'd like to use the area for. Our members will then be more than happy to assist with ways you can achieve it. What's more important to you, the car space or a flower garden? You might like to read through this discussion on How to add street appeal?. I provide quite a few links to discussions on what can be done in a front yard. I'm sure you'll find some ideas you hadn't thought of.

Cutting down the tree may not be necessary if you're planning to pave the area. You could leave the tree intact and create a parking spot around it, which would provide some shade for the car during hot days. However, if the tree is causing a safety hazard or blocking your view when driving in or out of your garage, then removing it might be the best option.

Is there enough room to fit an entire car off to the side? If not, and the parked car is going to obstruct one leaving from the garage, then the car might as well be parked on the drive. If, however, this will be a full car space that allows the cars in the garage to exit, then it could be of benefit. For me, unless this works result in a full additional car space off to the side, I'd be leaning more towards utilising this space for a lovely elevated garden. If you were to follow this guide on how to How to build a raised garden bed, you could plant it out with flowers to create a wonderful garden feature. Also, check out our Top 10 most popular raised garden beds for inspiration.

Ultimately, the decision about what to do with the space in front of your house will depend on your personal preferences and needs. If you need an extra parking spot and don't mind sacrificing some greenery, paving the area could be the best option. On the other hand, if you value having a nice garden or want to add some visual interest to your property, planting some flowers or creating a garden bed could be the way to go.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: front spare space to car park or ???

@MitchellMc Reason to get rid of the tree is because of the black things falling off the tree on the wet weather and they get carried inside the house as well as in the garage. It is certainly adding greenery to my house, but I have 7-8 other similar sizes trees on the front of the house. 

I am still deciding what I am needing to do here. 

Flowering is certainly a best option but I am taking some time to think about it. 

I will keep update on this to you. 

Thanks again for your recommendations. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects