Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to connect lcc27 bbq gas bottle?

ben1984
Finding My Feet

How to connect lcc27 bbq gas bottle?

Hi

I bought the small 2 person bbq and it has a lcc27 hose. My gas bottle has the thread on the outside so I believe it’s the correct one.

but when I connect the hose to the gas bottle there is a leak, because the valve is loose against the nut see pic - highlighted in red.

what am I doing wrong here? Thanks!

9E5ACC2A-A762-4FC2-A34A-4D1CE58EBA23.jpeg

B98FCB00-3B43-46CE-8EEA-1432EFA59188.jpeg

9BC70357-90B0-46C4-9B72-4DF6DFBE8529.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Connecting lcc27 bbq gas bottle

Hi @ben1984,

Please cease trying to connect the gas bottle until we can resolve this issue. Do not try to ignite the BBQ. Leaking gas is a serious safety concern.

At first impression, it appears that the gas hose is missing a gasket seal on the tip of it, but please allow me some time to investigate further. The seal might prevent gas from leaking out of the fitting. Is this a new BBQ and gas hose?

Mitchell 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ben1984
Finding My Feet

Yes I bought this bbq https://www.bunnings.com.au/jumbuck-2-burner-hooded-bbq-lcc27_p0348323

it came with the hose and connector, see pic. I also bought a different gas mate hose to try and still the same issue. Which is why I thought maybe I am doing something wrong or the gas bottle is wrong. Thanks

F1B3F257-86D2-4EAB-8E15-98EF8E4FE1F9.jpeg

9EE1FFD1-9F79-4F00-B3D5-626B27A7B8C6.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for your patience, @ben1984. I've now been able to familiarise myself with these new fittings and can confirm that no gasket is missing. Since you've tried two hoses, my suspicions now lie with the gas bottle. This would be unlikely, but I'd like to cover all bases. 

I suspect you have been tightening the fitting sufficiently, so I'd like to swap that cylinder over for you just to rule it out. Would you be able to take it to your local store today? If so, I can call ahead and let them know you'll be in. Could you please let me know the location of your closest store?

Mitchell

Thanks Mitch, I’m not able to go in today, but shall I just message you when I can (probably tomorrow), closest bunnings in Thomastown, VIC.

it is curious that I bought another hose and valve (gasmate) but it’s the same issue.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

The external thread on 8.5 kg propane bottle fittings is something fairly newish?

I saw the style ben @ben1984 is holding in his first photo at Bunnings recently - and only slowly realised they would be incompatible with the fitting seen below?

I do know the style I have is very difficult to insert at times - maybe that's why they're changing them?

20240406_145740.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ben1984,

Please message me when you are ready, so I can facilitate the swap free of charge. Keep me updated, as I'm keen to resolve this issue as soon as possible. I'll be on tomorrow, and you can message me anytime. I've already spoken to Brooke, one of the managers at Bunnings Thomastown, and she'll be on tomorrow until 2:30 pm. If you do head in, she's now aware of the issue and will swap the bottle over for you.

As before, please consider your safety and the safety of those around you and do not attempt to start the BBQ or try further troubleshooting. I understand it would be frustrating not being able to start your new BBQ immediately, but we need to resolve this issue first.

I do apologise for the inconvenience.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade 

This is the new style fitting and standard, which you'll see new appliances supplied with. The new bottles will have both types of connectors on them, and yes, the idea is that they are easier to connect.

Mitchell

Cheers @MitchellMc 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Morning @ben1984,

I just wanted to check in to see if you were able to pick up your replacement bottle.

Let me know if you've had any issues.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects