Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to connect downpipe to drainage?

Glorz
Cultivating a Following

How to connect downpipe to drainage?

Hello,  I've moved into a 1970s house and after having a walk around the back after some heavy rainfall, I noticed I have this downpipe and the blue pipe aren't even connected to the stormwater pipe (the black one, im pretty sure) is there a way I can connect all 3? I have a 4th pvc downpipe further up the side path that isn't connected to any sort of drain either. Can I fix this myse or should I leave this this type of stuff to the professionals? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you! 

20231129_103729.jpg

Screenshot_20231129-111945_Gallery.jpg

Downpipe that's further down the path (blue) and other 3 pipes are in the corner behind gate (red)

20231129_103844.jpg

Screenshot_20231129-114145_Gallery.jpg

Glorz
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to connect downpipe to drainage?

Hi @EricL

Would the 3M everhard drain need to be concreted in and should I have this run in the middle or against the house? The currents pipes aren't dug very deep at all. Thank you for answering my questions. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Glorz 

The Everhard 3m EasyDRAIN Polymer Grate And Prejoined Channel needs to have a concrete footing. Putting down a concrete base at equal distances should be enough to hold it in place. It's possible to have it steady without having to concrete the entire area. It's best to have it run in the middle of the garden, I don't recommend having this right next to the wall of your house.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Glorz
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Eric! appreciate the help. I've decided to leave this one to a professional and move onto another DIY project. Something less complicated for me😅

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Glorz 

Please don't forget to post an update on your new project. I'm sure our members are keen to see what you are working on next.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Glorz,

I've looked at that 4th photo a number of times and the only real solution I can see is for you to pipe that downpipe, somehow, with fall on it, out of your property.

You say there is a fall of a certain number of degrees from the front of the property to the rear?

If this is the case, that is not good, which could mean that you would have to end up pumping storm-water up to street level, because water does not flow uphill.

I take it, that the fence to the left in your 4th picture is your boundary fence and you wouldn't be able to discharge water into a neighbouring property?

What you could do however, is build a small concrete sump, if you have to and install a small submersible pump in the sump, this works on a float switch and only pumps when the sump gets full and stops when the sump is empty.

The kicker to that though is that you need somewhere to pump the water to, so that it doesn't run back into your or anyone else's property.

Glorz,

What are your thoughts on this?

Please let me know, as I want to help you out.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects