Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to connect downpipe to drainage?

Glorz
Cultivating a Following

How to connect downpipe to drainage?

Hello,  I've moved into a 1970s house and after having a walk around the back after some heavy rainfall, I noticed I have this downpipe and the blue pipe aren't even connected to the stormwater pipe (the black one, im pretty sure) is there a way I can connect all 3? I have a 4th pvc downpipe further up the side path that isn't connected to any sort of drain either. Can I fix this myse or should I leave this this type of stuff to the professionals? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you! 

20231129_103729.jpg

Screenshot_20231129-111945_Gallery.jpg

Downpipe that's further down the path (blue) and other 3 pipes are in the corner behind gate (red)

20231129_103844.jpg

Screenshot_20231129-114145_Gallery.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to connect downpipe to drainage?

Afternoon @Glorz 

Stormwater is fun... When its working right :smile:

So the answer is yes you can do it yourself, It could be a lot of work. I redid mine and found it very rewarding but man who needs a gym.

Stormwater rectification stage 1 

Stormwater rectification stage 2 

The downpipes you have seem to just go over the ground, I remember my grandmothers garage and house having it like that for years.

The Black pipe looks like ag pipe and probarly helps the water drain away/seap away further into the yard. The blue Ummmmm It dosnt look like  a stormwater pipe? 

I suspect you dont have a stormwater pipe out to the street. Do you know if you have an exit hole for stormwater in your street road gutter?

Probarly I would contact a plumber to make sure you have knowledge of any local rulings first (And get a quote) 

Things you could keep in mind if you go the route of a new stormwater system is -

Reusing the water, tank storage, fielding the water over a large area (depending on your local council rules)

Dave

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Glorz,
In your top picture, what you could do is cut the PVC pipe off by about 200mm and fit a 45 degree elbow to the bottom of the pipe, put a short piece of pipe
into the elbow and then use another 45 degree elbow down towards the trap in the ground, if this makes sense?
Another piece of your off-cut could bring that down to almost ground level, but don't take it right down into the trap, as it will air-lock and not drain during heavy rainfall.

What I would also do, is add a saddle back to the wall behind the pipe above the two elbows, just to give this some support.

I would also clean all of that rubbish out of the trap (the black tray thing), that will impede the water flow into the blue pipe.

In your 3rd picture, you need to install a trap (to catch the water from the downpipe) and an outflow pipe into your stormwater system some how,
bearing in mind it will need fall on it to where it feeds into the stormwater system.

This is very easy to do, if you have basic digging tools, I can help you through the process if need be.

If you require further help by all means, let us know, below.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Glorz
Cultivating a Following

Hi Dave,

wow that looks like a massive job, well done! the blue pipe im assuming may be a Vinidex slotted draincoil from bunnings. It runs along the back of my house and im pretty sure it is connected to the drain channel I have further up.

thank you for the advice, much appreciated!

Glorz
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MikeTNZ ,

thank you so much! I took your advice and cleaned it all out and went straight to bunnings to get the materials I needed. I hope my attempt was okay. A bit messy with the glue and primer but I'm very happy with this solution till I can replace the whole thing. 

Yes id really appreciate any help with the 3rd picture drain pipe if you would be willing to guide me. It's down the side of my house where it doesn't get much sun and is damp sometimes. This house has negative grade around it so when it rains I'm a bit concerned that it doesn't have adequate drainage. Thank you again for taking the time to read my post and giving me advice, much appreciated!404009952_908849374107896_3085626102379315624_n.jpg404529437_330767359709321_5388878246183373450_n.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Glorz 

Thats good pipework installation! Does that third picture with the drainpipe point towards any drains along the area or does it just flow into the garden making it soggy? Would it be possible to put an extension on it so that it points towards a drain? 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Glorz
Cultivating a Following

Hi @EricL,

thank you. first time for everything. The third pictures downpipe leads to nowhere. The next closest down pipe is about 4 meters away. After doing some digging (not much at all as the pipes were only 2cm under the pavers) I've thought about doing maybe a french drain. Using a drain pit for the downpipe that leads to nowhere then either using slotted ag pipe or pvc (not sure which one is best) to connect everything together. Does that sound like that could work? this area doesn't get much sun at all. my other question is whether there is something I can wrap the pipe work in that will prevent tree roots from destroying my pipes as the neighbors trees are right next to the boundary fence. Thanks 

404318840_732754692076822_3389927265027893353_n.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @Glorz 

Im not keen on a slotted ag pipe for stormwater carrying/seeping away. I never feel that it will carry the quantity of water without backing up unless you have the end open to the yard? Plus feel that tree roots will go "ohhh lets party" 

You have said your block slopes backwards?, It may be an idea to look over your neighbours fence and see if you can spot an inspection point for stormwater (Ask your neighbous they may know as well) 

If there isnt stormwater piping in your area then maybe use the stormwater to your advantage, Solid pipes down to the garden bed area and then have it splay out to feed the garden beds deeply? That way you wont get roots into your pvc piping so easily and it wont back up.

I am lucky that my stormwater pipes go to the street gutter but also I have Earthen berms to funnel the water around the front yard as it makes its way down the slow slope. It gives the water time to soak in instead of it going down the gutter.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Glorz 

I agree with @Dave-1 on this and that the water draining away in the agi pipe is like an open invitation to the tree roots to come over and have a free drink. If you were to use a pit and diverting solid pipe it would have to have the correct fall so that it goes in the correct direction. The last thing you want to happen is to have the water sitting in the pipe and not flowing out properly.

The French drain would have been an ideal solution, but the tree roots are definitely going to cause trouble down the road. The only other option that comes to mind is to use an open drain like Everhard 3m EasyDRAIN Polymer Grate And Prejoined Channel and somehow link it to your existing drain.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Glorz
Cultivating a Following

Hi @Dave-1 Uh okay. Scrap that idea then. Back to the drawing board 😫 thank you for your comments Dave! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects